New Baby that was pecked has sore spot

fours2many

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Naples, Florida
This BooBoo. She is only 4 days old. Last night we noticed several chicks picking at her neck. We noticed some feathers missing and it was red. So we put some neosporin on, just in case infection would start. The neosporin kept the others from pecking her, but she didn't like the stuff and kept ruffling and cleaning herself. We were afraid she was making it more irritated. So we bathed her. She is now almost dry. The spot still is bright red. No blood, but doesn't look good. No feathers either.

Her are pictures. The line going across the close up is just a shadow. There are no visible scratches. Is there anything else we can do for her?

49924_booboo3.jpg

49924_booboo2.jpg

It'll be hard (because she's a baby and wants company), but you're going to have to separate her until that heals up, or soon it will be pecked to the point of bleeding. Maybe you can wire off a section of your brooder so that she can still kind of be with the others??? You can try Blue Kote to keep others from pecking...and hopefully keep HER from cleaning/picking at the area herself. Poor baby!

Where do i find blue kote? Will TSC have it?

Thanks, It will have to wait till am. So far, since her bath, nobody has pecked her. It really doesn't look good. I will call my TSC in the am and see if they carry it.

Last edited:
YAY shes doin better now :] But it seems she is loseing more feathers
sad.png
she doesnt really pickat it, and the others leave her alone now, but the spot looks bigger...

Back
Top Bottom