New baby turkeys

JMBer2c

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
our hens eggs are hatching. They’re not in an incubator, she is laying in them. How soon can I take the babies from her?

We don’t have room to keep them and we have friends that want them for pets like us

Bummer that she cannot keep them for a few weeks.

You can take them pretty much anytime after they are dried off and moving around. I would give it at least 24 hours.

The turkey hen will likely not be pleased.

our hens eggs are hatching. They’re not in an incubator, she is laying in them. How soon can I take the babies from her?
I take the poults away from the hen as soon as I know they have hatched. I put them in a brooder until they are either sold or move on to the grow out pen.

I do this for several reasons. One is that it is much easier to show and sell poults from a brooder than it is if they are hiding under a hen. The other reason is that there are just so many things that can go wrong if poults are in the general population for the first two weeks of their lives.

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies. Four have hatched. We thought we had them penned safely but unfortunately one founds it’s way out and the Tom killed it. We took the other three and have them under a heat lamp. She has three more eggs under her that haven’t hatched

Back
Top Bottom