New baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flwrldy, Dec 2, 2017.

1. flwrldy

flwrldy Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    We have our first ever broody hens. We are in NH where it’s getting down in the 20’s and 30’s at night, and even the teens occasionally so far..The broody hens, are 2 of our buff Orpingtons. This morning one chick hated, and was found in the run with mom. We put her and the baby back in with the other eggs, and she is still staying there. For about 10 minutes we weren’t sure which was the mom, because my very excited granddaughter who found the baby, grabbed it and ran in the house to show us. We have 6 buffs who all look alike, so I had to find the one with feathers missing off her belly, which I did and it was her, but in the mean time put the new chick under the other broody momma, who took her happily under her. The actual momma of the new chick hatched the chick in the nesting box, so I’m thinking tonight I will move them to a brooder. This is a first for us. I’m trying to read all I can, but not sure if I’m doing it right. I tried to give the chick water, but it didn’t drink, I’m going to go buy chick starter now. If the other hen hatched out chicks can I keep both moms together? Any advice would be so appreciated!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had 2 broodies who shared 8 chicks, the babies went to both moms they didn't fight. Hopefully yours will not either.

flwrldy likes this.
  3. 6sablehens

6sablehens Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    Hi, that’s great one of them has hatched!
    My Ancona hen went broody. Since there isn’t a rooster in our flock, we couldn’t hatch the eggs, so we waited three weeks, and then snuck three chicks underneath her. 3 days before we did this, our Wyandotte hen started going broody and sitting next to the Ancona, so when we put the chicks under the Ancona hen, we moved the Wyandotte off the nest. The next morning, we found the Ancona and Wyandotte huddled next to each other, one chick underneath the Wyandotte’s wing and two under the Ancona. They ended up raising the chicks together.

I would see if anymore eggs hatch before moving them, but make sure the chick is safe and other hens can’t interfere with the broodys.

The chick will still be absorbing the egg sack for 24 hours.
    If you give them some chick starter, the hens should show it how to eat. Pick the chick up and carefully dip the tip of its beak in the water so it knows where it is.

flwrldy likes this.
  4. flwrldy

flwrldy Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    So far so good. The other momma hatched 3 babies and both moms and the 4 babies are together in a brooder, which is 2 dog crates pushed together on open door ends, one has a side door as well so I can access the inside. All 6, the two moms and babies get along great with babies going under who they want.

5. flwrldy

flwrldy Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    NH
    My Coop
    We had no more hatch from that momma, just one, but the other hen hatched 3 the following Saturday. They are all together in 2 dog cages pushed together and both moms are raising them. We named them, Noel, Jingles, Cinnamon and Holly, since they all hatched during the Christmas season. Not sure if they’re pullets or Roos yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: