New baby...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenCrazy09, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazy09

ChickenCrazy09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    I "adopted" a new chick that is about two weeks old.. because of the sudenness I didnt have time to prepare a box for it so I put it in with my current babies..I know this is not desired because of disease but would it be ok for the night or do I need to put together another brooder tonight?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Unless there is a reason you would suspect some kind of health issue, I think it would be okay.

3. ChickenCrazy09

Mar 12, 2011
    The "only" concern I have is that she had 1 chick and not two which is wierd because the store that she "bought" them from has a strict two chick policy(so I am wondering what "happened" to the other chick) however this chick looks/acts very healthy and happy so IDK

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Baby chicks can die from a number of reasons other than disease, which is why so many BYC members recommend buying more than 2. It is a good thing that your new baby is sharing a brooder. He/she would be pretty unhappy by itself. I say relax and enjoy! [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    People often or usually mix young chicks. At any rate they are already together; to me, no reason to separate now.

Enjoy your chicks!

6. ChickenCrazy09

Mar 12, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. I am in love with it and all my chickens..

7. ChickenCrazy09

Mar 12, 2011
    N&MSchroeder :

Baby chicks can die from a number of reasons other than disease, which is why so many BYC members recommend buying more than 2. It is a good thing that your new baby is sharing a brooder. He/she would be pretty unhappy by itself. I say relax and enjoy! [​IMG]

Thank you and will do.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by