New baby!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karmlacres, Jun 2, 2011.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I just had an Ameraucana chick hatch! I have a live video feed on it at http://justin.tv/karmlacres

I
    had a few mishaps along the way. It's a day early. My anticipated hatch day was tomorrow and this one pipped a little over 24 hours ago. She got out all on her own despite my dying desire to help at the end. She had zipped all the way around but never really got through the membrane. There were tears in it and it was funny to see it stretch and open up when the chick stretched and pushed. But she got out just fine. She's one little peeper! Has been since before she even made her way into the world!!!

I have two Wheaten Marans that have pipped but no real progress yet. I'm hoping for more pipping in the next 24 hours.

I had some days where my temps got to 102. There may have been more days I didn't know about. I moved the incubator to an unused room as I noticed I was getting temp spikes when incubating in the kitchen due to sun coming in through the window. Apparently this was an issue in the back room, also, but I don't know how many days it was a problem. I know of 2 for sure. I then blocked the windows more. That seemed to help. Until the storm came rolling in and took out our power! Luckily, the power went out before the rain actually appeared and also lucky that we had just acquired a generator!!! Disaster diverted!!! Power wasn't out long and so I was able to get things plugged back in quickly.

I have one duck egg out of three recovered from my duck's nest when she disappeared. All 3 appeared to have had blood rings but I kept the eggs in anyways. This one has a duck in it - saw it moving! I just hope it's still ok. I have no idea where it is in the process but it seems like it should hatch pretty soon.

This is always the fun, yet stressful, part of hatching eggs!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Congrats! I am in the middle of my first hatch, time is going by so slow so it's nice to hear about other chicks hatching!

3. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    This is the worst part of the hatch! Waiting for the babies to make their appearance!!! With the little mishaps, I'm fearing the worst .... not many survivors. So the more that pip and peep the happier I will be. Actual hatch day was tomorrow so I guess there is still hope.

This is my 3rd time hatching and EVERY time the first to hatch is on the left side of the incubator. I find that interesting.

4. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    Chick #2 is here!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. karmlacres

Oct 3, 2010
    We had a tball game and then a softball game. In that time, a third chick hatched!!! Yippeee. I have, I believe, 3 pipped eggs in there now. It's hard to tell since these three rascals have kicked, spun, scattered and flipped all the eggs! So I have a black Ameraucana, blue Ameracucana and a Wheaten Marans [​IMG] All walking and chirping around. All dried and fluffed! The hatching part is so exciting yet stressful at times. My girls really look forward to this part as well. My dog goes crazy with the chirping little boogers. She wants to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by