New Babys and New member

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by glencarbantam, Jul 2, 2016.

1. glencarbantam

glencarbantam New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    ireland
    Hi all. I'm new here, first thread and al that jazz. [​IMG] got me some little chicks and two ducklings today and I have no heat lamp but I have them on a hot water bottle and straw and a towel. They are all happy asleep and in my house. Will this do??? I searched everywhere for a heat lamp today but couldn't get one

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You are going to be busy refilling that hot water bottle.

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to buy or make a roomy brooder, get a heat lamp and a thermometer.
    Follow this chart.

[​IMG]

Welcome to BYC. I hope that you will do a lot of reading on how best to care for your chicks and ducklings.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    A 40 or 60 watt incandescent regular old fashioned light bulb in a desk lamp will do...or better yet do you have a heating pad? Look up posts about the "mama heating pad"

5. Christabean

Christabean Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2016
    California
    Even if a regular incandescent bulb isn't enough, I'm sure it's better than nothing until you find a heat bulb! Any chain pet store should have heat lamps, check the reptiles section and expect to pay maybe $15 and a few more for the bulb. If you're going to keep a lot of baby birds, you could also invest in a ceramic heat emitter. Very low wattage for the heat and lasts for many years.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    [​IMG]
    I would recommend either the mama heating pad that a lot of people use, or if you have the $ the brooder heating plate thing made by Brinsea, or Premier. I have the one made by Premier and love it. It uses a lot less electricity than the lamps, and less fire risk. Enjoy your chicks.

7. glencarbantam

glencarbantam New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    ireland
    Thanks everyone. They made it through the first night with the water bottle. I'm up with my baby every few hours so I top up the water bottle and settle them down. They are eating and drinking and sleeping and running around happily. The ducks were a bit scared but are now eating and drinking happily too. Sister in law just brought me out a house warming present of a polish bantam cockeral and a silkie cockeral and two silkie chickens. All very young(3months old) I now have 18 birds and need as much help as possible. Lol. Have a big hen house we made a few weeks ago. A chicken in a run with two chicks she hatched, the other babies in the house and everyone else milling around outside. I'm now a mad chicken lady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by