New Backyard Chicken Owners

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nellies, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Nellies

Nellies New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    My husband and I inherited 6 Rhode Island Reds and a medium coop. It worked out perfectly because our house had an existing dog run. We let them out to graze when we are home but I think I would be interested in enclosing it more. Does anyone have any suggestions on building an A-frame or something like that over a fenced in dog run...or has anyone done that before?

2. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    I saw a picture just last night (right here on BYC) of a dog kennel someone had really fixed up nice with a roof and trimmed out in wood fenceboards, it was really sharp looking, wish I could remember what thread it was. I'll search again and repost if I find it..

3. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
  4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw this tonight. I think it may help you. Scroll down through her post and you'll eventually get to photos of how she covered her dog kennel. I bet if you pm'd her she could help you out with more specifics. Good luck. A secure run makes for happy secure chicken owners. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=82702

Congrats on your chicken inheritance! What a wonderful gift.

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I like that PVC roof! We did something similar except in a "hoop" style using brackets, PVC pipe and hardware cloth:

[​IMG]

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by