New backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laura Sanchez, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Laura Sanchez

Laura Sanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Hello everyone. I live in Texas and we just started creating our little ranch including backyard chickens (10 in total). We love it so far except for predator problems we have had. Looking forward to learning from everyone.
    Laura

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    [​IMG] People here are super nice and often have good information. I'm sure someone will have help for your predator problems.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  4. Laura Sanchez

Laura Sanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you for the links...

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You need a Fort Knox of a coop and covered run, if you free range birds and your loses are too high. The predator section folks may even be able to ID the type of predator that is getting your birds, in you fill in some details about the loss or kill.

6. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given some good advice and helpful link, so I'll just say hello and it's nice to have you here!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Laura. Glad you decided to join our flock. Which part of Texas are you in? My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. :eek:) There's a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Laura and welcome to our community. You already have some good advice / links from Mountain Peeps, so i'll just say a big hello [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by