New bag of feed has worms! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I just realized that the bag of chick starter mash that I opened on Friday is full of worms. [​IMG] There are little red ones and big white ones. Also, lots of strings in the bag. Is this normal? I bought it Wednesday when I went to the feed store. They had gotten the shipment that day (at least that's what I was told) Should I return it, or are they all this way? [​IMG] It is Blue Seal Medicated. Thanks

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have NEVER found worms in my feed. I would return it for sure.......granted, the chickens would probably love 'em but I would question why they are there to begin with. Is the bag moldy, wrinkly from getting wet and drying, is the food moldy, etc??

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Return it right away.

4. JOSEYWALES

JOSEYWALES Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I have never had that happen. Find a new outlet if you can. YUCK!

5. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I got 2 bags, one mash and one crumbles. The feed store is about 30 minutes away, so I tried to get what I would need for a while. The bags look brand new. The woman was putting price tags on them when I got there. They are the 25# size. This is the only store that sells Blue Seal around here, and that is the brand I was told by a local farmer to use. He tried the Tractor Supply and his hens stopped laying. Even the tractor supply is about 30 mins. I didn't open the crumbles, should I check that also? The chicks are 4 days, should I stick with the mash and then switch to crumbles or just buy crumbles? Thanks everyone. It's nice to know I can get ???'s answered anytime. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. JOSEYWALES

May 20, 2010
    I get the crumbles from Tractor Supply (Dumor is the brand) my girls love it and the eggs are rolling in. Hope this helps.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Pretty much ditto here...only I use the layer pellets from TSC...no problem with getting eggs. As for the chicks, just go to TSC and get the grower crumbles...they'll eat 'em just fine.

8. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Are grower crumbles the same as chick starter? They're only 4 days. Thanks

9. JOSEYWALES

May 20, 2010
    I used starter for a couple of weeks same brand.

10. JOSEYWALES

May 20, 2010
    BTW the difference is in the protien content. Check the bag it should say on front.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by