New Bantam Breed Project

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by phasianidae, Mar 25, 2017.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Hello everyone!

I've been working on a bantam breed project over the last year and thought some of the BYC community might find it interesting. I have always loved the idea of people creating new breeds and varieties and I am sure there are many people here who share this interest.

Anyway, my goal for this project was to create a dark skinned, small combed, wild-type coloured bantam with very natural instincts towards mothering, foraging, and avoiding predators. I have always loved the Silkie breed for its mysterious history, dark skin, and mothering ability. I also liked the Red Jungle Fowl for it's history, beautiful coloration, and natural instincts. This project was an attempt to bring both of these worlds into one bird.

All of the birds pictured are the result of crossing a Red Jungle Fowl / Silkie cross rooster and a Brown Leghorn bantam hen. I hatched around forty chicks from this mating and selected down to these birds.

As much as I love these birds and genetics projects, I will soon be moving and will not be able to continue this project. If you are interested in these birds for any reason, whether to continue breeding them towards this end or something completely different, please do let me know.

Enjoy! I will be happy to answer any questions.

Disclaimer: I fully understand that these are not true breeding birds but very much a work in progress. I know some individuals have very strong feelings as to what constitutes a breed and even whether new breeds should be created - especially involving Jungle Fowl. I have no intentions of deceiving anyone with these birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ZachyWachy

ZachyWachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2017
    Petersboro, Utah
    My Coop
    I wish that I could take them, it is a fascinationg project, but I am only a 15 year old, so it's not my decision. And my parents don't really want more. Sorry.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps

@sanna712

@Rosy B

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Red jungle fowl as in hatchery or the real red jungle fowl as in murghii, Richardson strain, laos etc?

5. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    *Squeeeaaal!* I want one! Man, I hope these guys catch on when you get them breeding true and all that. Awesome birds!

6. ZachyWachy

Mar 25, 2017
    Petersboro, Utah
    My Coop
    I love the little fluff on top of the head on that one hen, you should make that a must (plus it must protect their comb from the cold).They are very beautiful birds. If they become a breed then... I want some![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  7. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    Do you want them too be smooth feathered, or are you okay with a silkied popping up once and a while?

8. ZachyWachy

Mar 25, 2017
    Petersboro, Utah
    My Coop
    I think that the Silkie look makes them look flashy, but also gamey because of the coloration (now they just need to be sold in hatcheries so that I can beg my parents to get me one).

9. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    What are you calling them?

10. ZachyWachy

Mar 25, 2017
    Petersboro, Utah
    My Coop
    Why not name them after yourself? I think that it would be an awesome thing to have someone that doesn't know yet ask you about them (because the breed name is like yours), and to know the whole story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by