New Bantam Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ThoseVoices, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Okay...
    So ive wanted to raise chickens for a long time- finally i bought some chicks yesterday. Bantams are easiest for me to raise, i dont have a large property but i have a large enough backyard for a small flock of small chickens.
    I have 6 chicks currently- the unfortunate part however is i have no clue how old they are, or what species of bantam... (well i got two i knew the breed and one was already sexed- a lovely silver lace pullet and an unsexed barred rock, i believe it was) or what their sex is.
    Sex is specifically important because in my town i cannot own a rooster in a residential area (because they are typically noisy).
    Any tips on how i can tell age or sex of young chicks? I dont want to hurt them by being inexperienced with a vent sexing- and feather sexing isnt accurate enough especially if i dont know their genetics...
    I can also try to provide photos of each in a bit.

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You will have to wait until they are at least a month old, when the cockerels' combs start to turn red.

3. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Ah i see
    Well i will provide photos to try and get an age on them...

[​IMG]
    This here is Jeepers

[​IMG]
    Creepers

[​IMG]
    Peepers

[​IMG]
    Poppy

[​IMG]
    Henry (get it? HENry?)

[​IMG]
    And Shantilly (lace) (its from a song- mom named her)

4. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    And if these photos provide breed info id greatly appreciate it

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Jeepers is a buff Cochin. Creepers is a white Cochin. Peepers is a buff Cochin. Poppy is a buff Brahma. Not sure on Henry and you know the last. They're probably a week or so old.

6. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Oh thank you :)
    If i did reasearch right henry is a type of barred rock or black cochin- i dunno entirely though

7. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    Update!
    About a month of growing and all 6 are happy and healthy- however my aunt took in Peepers, Shantilly, and Henry. Henry was a roo so we couldnt keep him at my home. My mom was skeptical about raising 6 chickens as beginners so she wanted my experienced aunt to raise a few of ours. We still have Jeepers, Creepers, and Poppy. And... i thought to post pictures... in my next post.

8. ThoseVoices

ThoseVoices Just Hatched

Mar 28, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Poppy, the pretty girl~

[​IMG]
    Creepers, the fluffy trickster~

[​IMG]
    And Jeepers, who surprised us as a frizzle~
    I am a bit concerned with jeepers though- its comb is redder than the other two (well its pink while the other two are yellowish-light peach?), however its behavior and walking stance arent very rooster-like. Like Henry had a more erect posture and thick feet for developing spurs. He was always alert and often slept away from the other chicks as if to watch over them. Jeepers does not have thick feet and walks more like a hen...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    Did Jeepers turn out to be a roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by