new Bantam chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redmacbear23, May 11, 2011.

1. redmacbear23

redmacbear23 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    My Bantam hen just hatched some chicks. Not sure of number yet, but there were 5 eggs, and I found one dead chick, which is heartbreaking. I have hen blocked off in corner of roomy coop away from Bantam rooster. There is a chick feeder and waterer in with her and chicks. One chick is pecking away at the Starter. Now what??? Still getting snow here in CO! But coop is warmed with light. Advice!

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep momma and her nest area separated at least two weeks. Then, while you remain nearby, open the closure, and wait for mom to take her peeps out for a walk. Keep that separator open for her quick return![​IMG] If possible, do this every day for a week. Making sure there are no attacking hens in your flock. [​IMG] I've always had good luck with the nest-hatchlings being introduced by momma.[​IMG]

3. redmacbear23

redmacbear23 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Thanks! She is my only hen, since finding her partner dead a few weeks ago. I was going to get more, but then she started setting, so thought I'd wait. I worry about the roo tho. I can put him in a second yard when I try them out in 2 weeks, per your advice. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by