1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Bantam coop/run...Lots of pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by georgiagail, May 18, 2011.

1. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

After finishing this one, we decided we needed a second one for bantams:

[​IMG]

We picked a spot on the other side of the yard that provided shade from both a couple of pear trees and many old growth trees outside of the privacy fence:

[​IMG]

The ground dipped a bit so a platform for the run was built:

[​IMG]

We were originally going to use a large dog house for the coop but decided to build a coop (I suppose the dog house can be used for the "next" coop). The coop would be placed inside the run and would be 3 by 6 feet:

[​IMG]

The run is a 5 by 15 foot dog kennel, set on top and attached to the platform:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware cloth was attached prior to putting on the Tufftex panels:
    [​IMG]

Hardware cloth was attached around the perimeter of the run and over the top, using 3/4" electrical conduit pipe as support:

[​IMG]

Despite the fact there are currently only three bantams using this, we decided they needed more room...so we built an "added on" run made of 3/4" electrical conduit pipe and covered with our remaining hardware cloth. This added on another 3 by 10 area for these guys. I've ordered some shade cloth should this area become too warm in our hot summers.

[​IMG]

The original run has sand for the floor; this one has mulch and straw loaded with worms and bugs that they love to kick through:

[​IMG]

2. Great job ,very nice & creative !

3. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Very Nice...how do they enter the second run, did you cut the chainlink? Im needing to cut a hole thru chainlink and nervous about how to do it and make a nice clean cut

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes; we cut a hole in the chain link and bent the ends back upon themselves so there were no sharp edges.

Because the cut was made in the shorter length of the run (the end) little stability was lost. The extra poles from the door also added stability to the remaining chain link fencing.

Gail

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    wow- you've given me some ideas! my runs need work...want to come do them for me???[​IMG]

7. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I love it! [​IMG]

8. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Very nice! [​IMG]

9. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    I noticed in you 1st pic that you had PVC bowed over you run for the roof. How did you attach you PVC? I saw another person did the same thing and he/she said they were PVC "brackets." I went to local big box home building stores and they said they had never heard of such a thing. I have a lot of PVC so this would be perfect if only I knew how to attach it. Thanks!!

10. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:The brackets are sold by the chainlink supplies, they are like a T bracket, I havent done it yet but Ive looked at them, they aren't make for PVC so they aren't sold in that isle, but they work with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by