New Bantam Roo Harassing My Copper Maran

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cdsmith03, Feb 21, 2014.

1. cdsmith03

cdsmith03 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello everyone. I'm hoping I can get a little help for my problem. I was recently gifted a Belgium Bearded D'Anver Bantam Roo. I already have 4 D'anver hens, and one Copper Maran hen. The roo is fine with the bantam girls, but he won't leave my Copper Maran alone! She can't eat, can't get anything to drink, and he tries to keep her out of the hen house. He's constantly chasing her around trying to flog her. I blunted his spurs so that he can't do too much damage, but I'm still worried about her. I'm thinking it may be because she's so much bigger than him. Is there anything I can do short of getting rid of him to get him to stop? My Maran was here way before Mr. Roo, and if anyone's going anywhere, it's HIM! He doesn't do it as much when someone's around, but he still does it some. I can't sit outside and babysit silly chickens all day! Oh, and FYI, he's not aggressive with me or my kids or hubby, just with my Maran. Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Christy

2. ChickenRaiser95

ChickenRaiser95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Snohomish County
    He could think that she is a threat to the flock, when he starts to attack her grab him and gently push him to the ground and in a stern voice say "no" a couple of times while holding him to the ground. I was able to teach my bantam cochin rooster not to mate while i was around by doing this, it shows that your above him.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How does she act during this? Is she scared and hiding or defiant?

I ask because if its the latter, he's working out pecking order issues. As the rooster, he should be at the top. Controlling the hens is how he keeps them safe. Trying to dominate him is just going to make all the unpleasantness last longer.

If she appears to be afraid, I would remove her and check her over real well for anything unhealthy. I find it odd that he's fine with all of the other new girls but her. Usually when that happens, its because there's some type of issue. My bantam roosters didn't discriminate based on size, they loved all the ladies.

Good luck.

4. cdsmith03

cdsmith03 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    North Carolina
    At first, she tried to fight back, but now she runs from him. I've checked her over, and she seems perfectly healthy. I've got him crated right now in a small dog crate. I have it sitting on the ground in their yard. I'm going to try again tomorrow, and see how he does. I'll stay out with him, and try to correct him when/if he does it. Thank you so much for answering my questions! I truly appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by