New Bantams...Help with these 3 colors please??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Yes, it was time for chicken math! I asked the store owner to order some bantams, I was thinking I would take 15, Then they came!! The 15 went to 20...25....30...and I took 35 home,
    Almost all of them have feathered feet/legs. I have a few that appear to be frizzled.
    Some Sebrights and D'Uccles, and some I am just not sure about. I tried to make sure I didn't come home with OEGB.
    I think it is a bit early to try to guess on some of the breeds but I am wondering about color.
    Anyone know what colors these are?

[​IMG]

Those silvery white lines from its beak, up its face and around top side of eyes...both sides are the same.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is one of my young Sebrights. He is a pale creamy color and appears to have some light buff?
    What color is he going to be?? I purchased eggs from a breeder.
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its a little too young to tell the color pattern of your chicks. However, I can tell you that your Sebright is not a Sebright. Sebrights have rosecombs (yours has a single-comb) and more slender bodies. To tell the truth, I honestly don't know what breed your "Sebright" is. Perhaps post photos in a week or two, and then we'll see.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Took a few more pics this last evening . Here he is again along with the two pullets that all hatched from that set of eggs. I will see if I can get better pics of their combs. I hadn't EVEN thought about his single comb and I have even had Sebrights before!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    On the colors of the small chicks that are in the 1st pictures...I really wasn't wondering about pattern...just basic color.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that all of those chicks are Sebrights, with the color variety being Buff-Laced. Sometimes, individuals of rose-combed breeds end up showing single-combs because of single-combed ancestry. Your cockerel is probably a Sebright, just not a show-quality one.

7. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I know they aren't show quality but I do care about breeding birds that are of better than hatchery quality! So, I know it has been said that when you buy from a hatchery you get just that...hatchery quality chicks (these were not hatchery birds but I do but those too). I try to keep only the best ones and improve as I go.
    I just came back in from feeding chickens and moving chicks out of the garage so they could have some sun today. I checked the Sebrights above and the pullets appear to have the correct combs.
    TY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by