New banties in Somerville/Cambridge/Boston, MA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gypsylion, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hello!

I am completely new to chicken keeping (in fact I don't actually have any yet), though I've been thinking of it for a while.

So far, a friend and I are planning to order silkie eggs from peekaboo silkies (if we can get them on eggbid.com), and a day-old female chicks (silver sebright, mille fleur belgian d'uccles, and a couple of cochins) from mypetchicken.com. And I'm looking for somewhere to get porcelain or, even better, blue/buff d'uccles (any ideas on the buff/blue type?). Now that I've found this forum, however, I'm hoping that maybe we can find some local breeders that we can go visit in person...

I'm thinking of building my own, slightly larger version of the City Biddy Chicken coop, raised with a slide-out sand tray underneath and an attached 4x7 run. I'm interested to do a bit more research on how the chicken tractor-style movable runs handle predator issues, since that seems to be a major concern of a lot of DIY chicken run builders (what with the burying of hardware cloth at least a foot all around, etc), so I'll check around the forum for tips.

I'll post it in the city laws section as well, but Somerville, MA is very pet chicken-friendly: the city is fine with it, all of our neighbors are looking forward to meeting our girls, and even the elementary school next door is hoping that the kids can learn more about where their food comes from by having chickens next door to their playground!

I am so hooked! [​IMG]

2. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    [​IMG] from MN!

3. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG]

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi from California

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana! (Born and raised in Reading MA.) Good Luck with your chicks

8. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hello from indiana and [​IMG]

9. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan