New bator is here! No eggs though....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SGM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    We received our new incubator the Hovabator Genesis 1588 with egg turner. I have looked everywhere for cheap eggs to buy to try it out. No luck though. We did happen to talk to a gentleman who works out the local feed store. He raises show chickens and he is going to try to collect eggs for us. So far his bantams aren't laying. Only $0.50 per egg.

None of my chickens are laying. All are molting. My Ameraucana's now have a rooster! We went to the flea market yesterday and found a gorgeous rooster. He is an Ameraucana as well and took right to the hens. I'm thrilled. No pictures yet. So when they start laying we'll hopefully have fertile eggs too.

I sure wish I could find some eggs to hatch! I can't wait to see how it does!!!

2. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I just had my first hatch in the Genesis 1588 with the auto turner....It was so easy. You can look in the paper and find someone who sells eggs...I got my first batch for 2.00 per dozen. You can probably get them from any local farmer who sells them - not as hatching eggs- but as table eggs. They ten to charge more if you tell them you are hatching them!

Joni

3. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    If you're REALLY anxious, you could go to a Safeway or a Whole Foods, and buy fertilized eggs [​IMG] They do sometimes hatch [​IMG]

4. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    One thing you can do is go on craigslist in your area and looking the farm and garden section and there are usually people selling eggs for eating. You could call or e-mail them and see if the eggs are fertilised. I found someone in my area that way. [​IMG]

5. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    We spoke to the gentleman about eggs today. He is going to get us some Black Rose Combs and Dark Brahma bantam eggs. He shows so they should be awesome animals. He said there maybe a few other breeds as well. Just depends on who's laying and how much. LOL So we'll see.

I'm still looking for more eggs too. I can't wait to use it! I've went ahead and put it away for now since its not needed.

I'll check the freecycle too though. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by