New bator? Or just accessorize?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carcar80, Dec 26, 2013.

1. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Hi guys, hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. :)

I got a few TSC cards per my request, lol, so this morning I'm looking to see what to do to gear up for spring. Here's my question: I have an LG still air that I've used before, but I wanted to add a fan to it and a turner too. I can add those two things for about $80, unless they have a sale.

Then I saw this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...-series-circulated-air-incubator?cm_vc=-10005

I wouldn't be against spending on this one IF it's good.. But from the looks of it is pretty much have a glorified LG plus a hygrometer.

Opinions/experience with this one? And yes, I know there are FAR better 'bators out there but for where I'm at right now with my birds, these are my choices. If I ever get FO SHO serious I'd splurge for a nicer one.

Thanks!!

2. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    You know what?? NEVERMIND.. Put the name in the search here and found plenty. Duuh. Disregard! Enjoy your day! ;)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhGeez...now I'm going to have to search too. I saw that rig at our TSC the other day and wondered the same thing.
    I was really hoping to read all the answers right here ;-)

4. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Well. Let me know if you find any different. I didn't find anything too impressive. Sounds like most feel like it's the same as the LG, some have even more complaints with it.

Which, honestly I've had no problems with my LG, but then again it's all I've ever used. :shrug

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's about what I saw too, didn't look too long. I can't afford any of them anyway, lol.

I borrowed a LG w/fan and turner and it worked pretty good, only thing I didn't like was the heating element is low when you've got chicks bouncing around in there...saw that in a comparison between FI and LG to Hovabator which is an inch or so taller.

If I were you I guess I'd upgrade your LG instead of buying the FI, if you can't/don't want to buy something better.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'd get a hova bator. The wafer thermostat on the inexpensive hova bator models is bar none the best bang for your buck. Adjustments on it are easy and non finicky. LG and said same with Farm Inovator is a nudge goes a long way in increasing/decreasing temp. The hova bator adjustment is a full quarter to half turn for 1 degree. User friendly. I've cooked eggs with the LG. With patients and practice I'm sure it's as successful hatching as the hova bator but I'm so happy I sold my old LG and went with Hova. It's forced air and I still turn manually in egg cartons.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I pressed a milk jug cap onto the LG temp control, makes it much easier to turn in small increments.

8. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    @Egghead_Jr - could you tell exactly which model you have? So I can check it out.. And by turning in cartons do you just mean alternating a raised end?

@aart - yes I have heard a few people say that about the milk cap, I will try that if I keep mine! :)

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Egg carton turning I use large lego or some sort of block and turn side to side not end to end. Last spring after suggestions here I just tilted the entire incubator side to side with a book. The thing to keep in mind is you don't want free rolling things in the incubator sliding/rolling into the eggs. Turning twice a day is made so easy, once in morning and once at night is all I do. Eggs stored fat end up in cartons. You can let them hatch in the carton too.

I found a deal on old unused model incubator. Is the large picture window model. A 10 year old new in box steal. Other than the large viewing area on top it functions the same as model 2362, which is model 1602 with fan. New these are $90 shipping included.

Here's one that is customer returned new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Hovaba...502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16c44206

Here is the model I have 1583- again up for bid used item from ebay, this one with auto turner! New this is $118 shipping included without auto turner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Hovaba...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=331094442502&

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. carcar80

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Thanks!! Okay. On the ebay item you linked, the fan IS included, right? I think so, but it talks about "forced air", but then states,

"It uses FORCED AIR FLOW, where the radiant heat tube gently warms the inside of the incubator while the fan draws fresh air from the bottom vents and circulates it throughout. Since heat rises, temperatures can vary up to 5 degrees inside the Still Air Hova-Bator. However, with the IncubatorWarehouse.com Gentle Flow Fan kit installed, the incubator holds a more constant temperature, minimizing hot and cold spots."

.. So is it included? Or does buyer order it from incubator warehouse?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by