new bedding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    so i went to the pet store today to buy some wood bedding, this is what i got

aspen wood bedding for small animals, i made sure there was no ceder in it, and low dust

shouldn't be a problem no? want to get an ok before i open it so that if its wrong i can take it back

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Honestly i Hate any kind of wood...lol
    I use Sand (beach sand, play sand or construction sand) i found to be the best..Just get a kitty litter scooper and throw out the clumps. EASY and FAST !!!!

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes, Aspen is fine bedding for quail.... Bill

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea i got them a sandbox inside as well to help with the poo, so its kinda gonna be a mix b/c they kick the sand around alot anyway

5. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why can't I come up with these simple ideas [​IMG] , won't be buying as much chips in the future with this little bit of info. Thanks [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    For each pen I use equine pine pellets in the trays. In the dust boxes, sand, oyster shell, with the occasional mealworms [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Why can't I come up with these simple ideas [​IMG] , won't be buying as much chips in the future with this little bit of info. Thanks [​IMG]

YOU WANT SIMPLE? DONT USE ANY CHIPS OR SAND! (BOTH ARE HORRIBLE SURFACES FOR HATCHLINGS ANYWAY! AND STRAW/ HAY ARENT MUCH BETTER) PLACE THEM ON A FIRM GRIP SURFACE FOR THE 1ST WEEK... TOWELS, RUBBER SHELF LINER, ETC--- THESE ARE "REUSEABLE" IN THAT THEY CAN BE CLEANED AND USED AGAIN... ONCE THEY ARE A WEEK OLD THE LEG JOINTS AND MUSCLES SUPPORTING THEM ARE "SET" --- SPRADDLE LEG IS NO LONGER A CONCERN... NOW YOU CAN USE PLAIN GOOD OLD FASHIONED, CHEAP, EASILY OBTAINABLE NEWSPAPER [​IMG] JUST CHANGE THE PAPER OUT AS NEEDED.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland

YOU WANT SIMPLE? DONT USE ANY CHIPS OR SAND! (BOTH ARE HORRIBLE SURFACES FOR HATCHLINGS ANYWAY! AND STRAW/ HAY ARENT MUCH BETTER) PLACE THEM ON A FIRM GRIP SURFACE FOR THE 1ST WEEK... TOWELS, RUBBER SHELF LINER, ETC--- THESE ARE "REUSEABLE" IN THAT THEY CAN BE CLEANED AND USED AGAIN... ONCE THEY ARE A WEEK OLD THE LEG JOINTS AND MUSCLES SUPPORTING THEM ARE "SET" --- SPRADDLE LEG IS NO LONGER A CONCERN... NOW YOU CAN USE PLAIN GOOD OLD FASHIONED, CHEAP, EASILY OBTAINABLE NEWSPAPER [​IMG] JUST CHANGE THE PAPER OUT AS NEEDED.

i don't get the newspaper lol

i guess i could go steal from the local recycling center....would that be a crime, i mean it is getting recycled

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YOU WANT SIMPLE? DONT USE ANY CHIPS OR SAND! (BOTH ARE HORRIBLE SURFACES FOR HATCHLINGS ANYWAY! AND STRAW/ HAY ARENT MUCH BETTER) PLACE THEM ON A FIRM GRIP SURFACE FOR THE 1ST WEEK... TOWELS, RUBBER SHELF LINER, ETC--- THESE ARE "REUSEABLE" IN THAT THEY CAN BE CLEANED AND USED AGAIN... ONCE THEY ARE A WEEK OLD THE LEG JOINTS AND MUSCLES SUPPORTING THEM ARE "SET" --- SPRADDLE LEG IS NO LONGER A CONCERN... NOW YOU CAN USE PLAIN GOOD OLD FASHIONED, CHEAP, EASILY OBTAINABLE NEWSPAPER [​IMG] JUST CHANGE THE PAPER OUT AS NEEDED.

i don't get the newspaper lol

i guess i could go steal from the local recycling center....would that be a crime, i mean it is getting recycled

THERE'S PAPER BOXES ALL OVER THE WORLD.... AND THEN FAMILY AND NEIGHBORS THAT MAY GET IT--- THEY WIL OFTEN TIMES SAVE IT UP FOR YOU IF YOU JUST ASK. I HAVE 1/2 OF MY ELDERLY FATHERS SUBDIVISION SAVES ME NEWSPAPERS AND ANY SHREDDED PAPER THEY HAVE (I USE IT FOR PADDING WHEN SHIPPING EGGS)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by