New- bee with 3 day old chick-babies

Bee and me

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2017
Hello All,
I'm a brand new, first time chick mom. So far so good!
I have a silver lace, Golden Lace and a Bantam.
Thier names are Tink, Bell and Malificent.
I was attracted to the site because you had a weekly slide show that showed chick progression. This helped me look forward to next week's growth.
Right now the chicks are in the house, in a tub, with a light, surounded by a puppy pin (to keep the cat out. Actually she doesn't seem to care.)due to the fact we have 4 inches of snow outside. I'm in Washington state.
Oh, I have a hubby and two human chicks. They are tickled pink to have chicks.
What an adventure!
Bee and me

G’Day from down under Bee and me
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congratulations on your new feathered family and best wishes to you and them.

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thank you Everyone. I will for sure check out the sites.
Right now I feel so overwhelmed with wanting them to be ok.
I have been reading all sorts of stuff!
It is nice to have a forum to help me focus my anxious energy.
Thanks and good night.
Bee and Me

Thank you Everyone. I will for sure check out the sites.
Right now I feel so overwhelmed with wanting them to be ok.
I have been reading all sorts of stuff!
It is nice to have a forum to help me focus my anxious energy.
Thanks and good night.
Bee and Me

I agree that processing all the chick raising info can be really stressful... you would have laughed at me the first few nights my girls were outside - I think I probably checked on them more than I did my newborn children! (It probably didn't help that I had been reading the "predators and pests" forum threads as bedtime literature!)
Anyway, as you have surely begun to discover, there are hundreds of different opinions about how to raise chicks. But, you will find ways that work best for you and your family - and the fact that you care about their well being, tells me that you will be a good chicken-mamma, even if you dont always get it "right!" Have so much fun with your new additions!!
PS, my cats completely ignore my chicks too - not sure why, when they're fairly vicious hunters of small birds outside - go figure!

I am so there. I hear thier every peep.
At first I was afraid of them overheating. I was told as long as they have room to move away from the heat they will be fine. I find they cluster together under the heat or next to the water where it cool.
They seem happy.

Hello there, and welcome to the flock! Thanks for joining us at BYC, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home! I hope you enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Howdy from Kansas, Bee and me, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! It looks like Teila and others have given you some great links to check out so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom