1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New beginnings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantams galore, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bantams galore

bantams galore Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi, I have been reading around on this site for a while now, and thought I would ask a few questions. I am new to breeding and hatching chickens for show. I have a few birds now, and I am planning to build a breeder type barn before fall. I see lots of great ideas on here about breeder pens and coops, however where I am at right now, is trying to decide if to single mate or group mate.

I want to want to single mate, but somehow I would rather have small flocks of a half dozen birds. To me it is lot less work and equipment, but what would I be losing out on?

Secondly, There are all kinds of breeding charts on the internet, is it as easy as picking the one that seems the most simple to me? Which chart do you use?

I don't really want more than about 20 birds or to hatch more than 40 a year. How do I decide what management plan to follow so that I will know what to build for a breeder barn?

I am working with dark brown bantam leghorns, if that matters.

Thanks

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    It all depends what you are breeding. what are you going to raise?

4. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    well, I am raising dark brown leghorns, and don't really want to hatch out more than 40 a year.

5. 2seth2

2seth2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Reno,NV
    You can have qiute a few hens to one rooster with leghorns

6. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

Will a program like this work ? if I only bred down to the forth generation and then having a couple of matings like this, crossed the lines and start the chart again?

7. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    So does no one have an opinion on the chart or you just don't think it will work or what?

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
  9. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    Any particular pages that are exceptional......or question related? ...... I have read the first dozen pages.................. saw a lot of nice pictures of different breeds/birds....................... Lots of "oh that looks great" but the post is 1400 pages..............................................

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd start with page 1441. You are mentioned there. [​IMG] I do know other posts on breeding strategies have popped up in that thread but unfortunately I'm not sure what page. You could try an advanced search on breeding strategies/charts/plans in just Breeds & Genetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by