New Behavior--losing eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CAjamieb, Dec 10, 2013.

1. CAjamieb

CAjamieb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm relatively new to the chicken world so I'm still learning about their behavior. My EE is doing something unusual for her of late. She's been pretty regular in her egg laying for several weeks and she always laid them in a nest, but recently she's had a couple of "accidents". First I found her egg at the bottom of the ladder, broken of course and then yesterday I found one on the tray under the roost, broken also. Any ideas?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she's new to laying, her body is probably still adjusting. How were the shells on the broken eggs?

3. CAjamieb

Oct 30, 2013
    The first one I found seemed to have a soft shell but the second one looked fine. She's about 2 years old, so not a new layer. As I said, her eggs have been perfectly normal for the couple of months that I've had her. I regularly add either their own egg shells back to them or provide oyster shell for calcium too.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she coming back from a molt? Eggs can be weird when they start back up.

5. CAjamieb

Oct 30, 2013
    Well, today she's back to normal, the egg is fine and she laid it in the nesting box. Not sure what was going on but I guess everything's OK.

6. CAjamieb

Oct 30, 2013
    No, no molting---her egg today was laid in the nesting box and is perfect. Not sure what was going on but seems to be fine now. Thanks for your input :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by