1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New behavior - watched chicken climb 8 foot wire fence

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thenalbachs, Jan 12, 2017.

1. thenalbachs

thenalbachs New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Ashland City, TN
    I wish I had known what was about to happen so I could have gotten a video of it. One of my chickens just hopped up on the wire wall of their pen about three feet up and proceeded to climb the rest of the eight foot height by flapping non-stop for lift and walking up the wall foot over foot to the next piece of wire until it got to the top where it settled down to perch. It wasn't just residual inertia, it took about 10 to 15 seconds to climb the wall and looked hard, but the chicken seemed to know what it was doing and went in a straight line up.

Has anybody else ever seen or heard of this? I didn't know a chicken could climb a vertical surface this way.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have seen it many times. It's usually a smart chicken doing it, and a lighter one.

3. thenalbachs

thenalbachs New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Ashland City, TN
    So probably not the whole flock then (have 18), just this particular one?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It does seem to be an individual thing in chickens. I had a whole clutch of muscovy ducklings climb a fence a time or two, but never a bunch of chickens doing it. Most chickens tend to fly up to one spot, and than the next. You will usually keep finding one outside the fence until you see them doing it and realize what it has been doing.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That behavior is called clambering. It is how birds can defeat fencing even with partially clipped wings. It is also thought by some to be how some non-avian . proto-avian dinosaurs likely made rapid ascents into a tree prior to development of true powered flight.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have read about it and then seen it done by 2 younger birds...glad I was there as one got foot caught in chicken wire and I had to free it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by