New behavior

endora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Last year my uncle and I got two goslings at a small animal sale in St. Louis the guy didnt know what kind they were when we got them home they were very friendly they loved us so we let the be loose only locking then in a little pen at night so nothing would harm them they follows us everywhere theyed swim in the pond with us and theyed climb up on my back while I swam when they got tired it was so cute when they got bigger they stopped being so close but they still followed us everywhere and talked to us and would eat out of our hands we had two adult em den geese we got before them that lived I'm a pen by the bar with access to go in and out when they pleased they arnt very friendly they hiss and are afraid of us I don't think their life before we got them was very good but anyway when it started getting snowy we started locking the freindly girls in the barn with them they were seperared by a horse hate but the girls would get in their pen with them the end end were mean to them theyed hiss at them and bite them but we don't have anywhere else warm we could put them and they could get out of their pen they just didn't anyway the emdens made them mean and now they hiss at us and threanteb to attack and they bite us and they do t trust us as much as they used to what can I do to make them friendly again any ideas

They were already full grown when they were put in with the boys though

They were already full grown when they were put in with the boys though
You also maybe witnessing breeding time too, it's that time of year. I try to keep mine at least close to knowing I am still part of their lives[even though right now they could care less] breeding season doesn't leave much room for anyone other than them. But I try to get outside when weather permits and sit with them while they are just messing around. You may never have back the relationship you once had you can still enjoy having them in your life we just have to take a back seat. It's all about them. [they think] lol I don't let my geese bite me we have a great link to geese training I'll get it for you.

Last edited:
You also maybe witnessing breeding time too, it's that time of year. I try to keep mine at least close to knowing I am still part of their lives[even though right now they could care less] breeding season doesn't leave much room for anyone other than them. But I try to get outside when weather permits and sit with them while they are just messing around. You may never have back the relationship you once had you can still enjoy having them in your life we just have to take a back seat. It's all about them. [they think] lol I don't let my geese bite me we have a great link to geese training I'll get it for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Thank you I was treating her tht way a little but then I was afraid that foing that would make me loose her trust ao i was going easy on her i teally aplreciate the advice quote name="Miss Lydia" url="/t/957991/new-behavior#post_14910989"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training
[/QUOTE]
You are earning their trust by teaching them you are their leader not them your leader. Right now I feel awful I am having be be so hard on my gander but I will not put up with him coming at me with wings open and ready to bite. This is the worst he's ever been now he has 2 females and another younger gander he thinks he has to defend. I've had him almost 8 yrs hatched here but boy is he a handful, I just keep thinking this will all be over sometime end of May and All will be back to normal. These can be trying times lol

Back
Top Bottom