1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Best Friends

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rach4, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    So I had to tell some chicken lovers this story as I receive a lot of raised eye brows when not so much chicken lovers hear this. Saturday I was sitting on the couch feeling quit ill from my medical treatment that I am receiving at the moment feeling rather like living in a toilet bowl, When I heard Bubba, our rooster loosing his mind, constantly crowing. At first I didn't think to much about it. But after a couple mins (usually he pipes down after a couple of crows) I started to get a feeling that something wasn't right.
    So somehow I managed to drag my sorry butt of the couch and outside. Dookie (Hen) is notorious for going walk abouts on our land. At first I thought that is what had happened, but I thought investigate to be safe. I passed bubba on his old beaten down table and started the search, But Bubba somehow knew I wasn't going the right way, he chased me (which he has never done before), so I stopped a bit shocked that he was running flat out at me. When I stopped, He stopped I moved he moved, so I changed directions. Upon doing this he ran the way I was walking, but he ran straight past me towards the "danger zone" and started cocking his head as if to say "look mum LOOK!" Trying to work out his weird behavior I realized he was looking towards the shed. Somehow and someway poor little dookie had wedged herself between a TV cabinet and a door which created a v shape. I was Devo! I had only just come back from treatment and had no idea how long she was upside down with wings pinned upwards in a very nasty position.
    I started to ball my eyes out thinking oh dear lord no not another one! We only just lost one of the baby chicks (a hen) to being unwell. As I reached down to gently slide her out her little leg kicked. Stupid as it sounds I don't know why but I rubbed her little chest and gently moved her head around, (again I was pretty dosed up strange I know!), to my astonishment she came too, (probably wasn't dead looking back at it now) she wasn't good though. I thought broken wing as her wing was limp, brain damage as she opened her eyes and one was red, I'm guessing from all the blood rushing to her head. I bundled her up and sat on the couch with her while her head went limp and she made noises that sounded like she was slowly passing on. I pleaded to my partner to go and get the last remaining chick hen we had, he wasn't hopeful but he did it to give me some hope. So here I am on sitting on the couch in my cow PJ's with the two chooks pleading to her not to give up and holding her baby chick up against her so she could feel her and hear her little tweets. after 2hours of pampering she finally came good, and now she constantly comes inside and sits on the couch, mind you when my partner isn't home!. The best part of all of this is she didn't really hang out with the chick hen, but now, when I look outside they are always together, and now when ever I greet them outside she is right by my side, which she never use to do. When I call her she comes which I didn't think chickens would or could do.
    I now consider her to be my "mans best friend" (sorry butters my dog) as she is so social with me now. It really does cement the love for my babies even more even if they are "only" chickens to some. How she got into the shed beats me to this day, but their was a lot of rearranging going on in that shed so no little sticky situations can arise again! Our little chick hen now has the name "Hope" cliche I know but that's all I was doing hoping that the baby would give her that little bit more will to carry on.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Great bed time story I loved it!

3. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks [​IMG] just glad I could put up a happy ending [​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Good story Rach. Hoping your treatments don't result in too much misery, and are successful. Chickens are much smarter than we give them credit for.

5. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for kind words. I agree completely, they all have their own personality and are unique little critters, Were all animals at the end of the day just have to work each other out hee hee [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love happy endings and we shouldn't forget the rescue started with your Rooster. What a smart bird he is!

7. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Oh for sure! I was and am so proud of him. He is such a gentleman all round. I have had a great connection with him from day one, but not so much Dookie, that has all changed now. He loves spinach so he had a nice fresh leaf straight from the fridge cooler! no seconds bests for him that arvo

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad to hear it all worked out well!

I've had hens that learned their names as well; no such thing as a birdbrain when it comes to chickens. They are smarter than most give them credit for.

9. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Agree, I think they make just as greater pets as a cat, dog or any kind of bird. I know Dookie was very timid little girl, and she is quite small. I didn't like to get to close in case I gave her a fright. But she has really come out of her shell the past couple days and so we are now searching for some more bantam hens as I think she would enjoy a few more friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by