New Big Brooder (Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KYBOY, Feb 7, 2009.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Ive got tired of trying to raise numbers of chicks in tubs and boxs..So I built this, today..Its six feet long and two feet wide/deep..It has removable dividers than can make three 2'x2' stalls. Each section has its own light fixture..Each light fixture is plugged into a power strip in the back..A dimmer switch has been wired into the power strip cord.This way I can easily adjust the temp according to the weather.I had to have a brooder that can take care of chicks in the barn during cold weather. .Its pretty cold here tonight and even 75 watt bulbs have had no problem keeping each stall up to 95*..Im sure heat lamps would keep them warm no matter the weather.I plan on putting wire mesh cones around the bulbs i just havent made them yet.Each stall has its own thermometer.It has a 1/4" wire mesh bottom. I plan on covering this for their first days with matt or paper towels until their feet can toughen up..The brooder has a full length tray under the bottom that slides out for easy manure clean up..In the pics the tray hasnt been coated yet, but it soon will be..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Nice! That looks great! Wow, 200 chicks. What breed(s) are they?

3. mema2003

mema2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    That brooder looks nice and that is a smart way too do a brooder if you are gonna hatch a lot of eggs especially. Thanks for sharing with us

4. joshua.w.garner

joshua.w.garner On a time out

Feb 5, 2009
    Newnan, Ga
    I don't see any electrical boxes for those fixtures or the switch?!

5. KYBOY

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    The box for the switch wiring is sunk in behind that cut out 2x4..The fixtures were mounted to 1" thick boards with holes "nearly the size of the fixture" cut away behind the fixture. It gives a 3" x 1" clearance between the back of the box and the back of the fixture..All wiring is capped with screw caps and generously covered with electrical tape. Then none are within 1" of any surface..

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I painted the inside of mine to make it easier to sanitize between batches of chicks.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm working on something similar, good job!

8. KYBOY

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Thats a good idea..[​IMG] I may do that..It will be a bit for i have chicks in it..Thanks

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by