New bird introduced to flock, now one bird ADR

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RunnerChick, Jan 13, 2013.

1. RunnerChick

RunnerChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I quarantined a new roo and he seemed healthy. No outward signs of disease. He's been with the flock for 2 days, and today one of my hens was very quiet. It could be unrelated, but she was laying quietly while the others ranged and I found her sleeping in the nest box instead of roosting tonight. No other signs, yet, but any ideas? Anything have that short of an incubation? There were no eggs under her, so I don't think she's broody. She's a 9 month old Easter egger.

My flock otherwise is healthy. One other bird has a dirty butt, but she's had it for at least a week or two, much longer than since I introduced the new bird.

This hen was one of the first that the rooster bred. He's bigger, could he have hurt her? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Check her for mites and lice. Also have they been wormed?? Hens can be broody without eggs. (Mine have)

3. RunnerChick

Apr 30, 2012
    I haven't seen any mites or lice, but I realize they are tiny. What is the best way to find them? Would they make a hen all of a sudden be quiet?

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Look under the feather of your birds and also their vent. They also lay cluster's of eggs called nits. The best time to look for them is at night when they are active. You will see them in the coop also.
    In bad cases mites and lice have killed chickens.

5. RunnerChick

Apr 30, 2012
    Anything else I should think about? Or I just need to wait for signs? Should I quarantine her now? If the new roo is the source, does it matter? I'm so anxious and worried I've made a mistake. I hope I haven't brought something terrible in.

6. RunnerChick

Apr 30, 2012
    New info: no evidence of mites that I can see. But she does have diarrhea.

Her eyes/nose are clear, she can walk.

My husband reminds me that he gave the girls black eyed peas/greens one day before I noticed this. They were a week and a half old but not rotting or anything. Just in the fridge. . Everyone else is fine, at least as far as I can tell.

I haven't dewormed, but if it is worms its quite a coincidence from the new guy arriving. I only have 1 rooster, and this gal is not the bottom of the pecking order...top 5 I'd say. So I can't figure why shed be stressed. I do have the one other bird with some poop on her feathers.

I'm going to pull her from the coop, feed her some plain yogurt. Any other ideas?

7. RunnerChick

Apr 30, 2012
    Sending another reply in hopes that someone can see/answer my question. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by