New bird will not come out of the coop....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have a new Cuckoo Marans hen who refuses to come out of the coop. Yes, she has gotten pecked on by the others to establish order. Yesterday, I physically went out and put her in the run. She sat on the roost most of the day. I am afraid she is not eating or drinking. I gave her some pellets, which she pecked and I saw her eat some snow. Will she come around when she is hungry and thirsty? The others are not as bad as the first day. I just want to make sure my Dottie will be okay.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Beth

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    How long has she been in with them?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You may have to supervise a while longer, and it will help if there are more than one feed/water. Takes time, more sometimes than others. Glad she isn't being ripped up, at least. Little dinosaurs.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I had this and no one was picking on her - frankly she came in like she was queen bee- she ate and drank and was and is fine - she doesnt go out that much at all - she simply prefers to be inside - not sure if she wasnt used to free range as she came from a breeder - but she is just that way and she seems perfectly happy - they dont all like to be out i guess !

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

As ddawn suggested, make sure there are more than one feeder/waterer available, preferably on opposite ends, so the new girl has an opportunity to get to them without being jumped on...

6. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I just went and checked on her. I hand fed her some food and dug out my little chick waterer and she drank. I think she will figure it out. I bawk at her and she sometimes talks back. LOL!! I think she is just nervous and her owner told me that ALL of her free range birds want to see in the coop this time of the year. I have a large run, partially covered, so lots of space. I think she just doesn't know what has happened!

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I had this happen too when I brought home our red star. Our three girls would not let her out of the coop for the first week! such bullies. [​IMG] I just gave her a small bowl of water that stayed in the coop and the feed bucket was already in there. they just have to establish the pecking order. Just make sure she has food and water in the coop with her and she'll be fine. It might a week or 2, or maybe more for them to work everything out. Good luck! Shes a pretty girl!

8. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Quote:Ditto...

I had a chicken that took three or four weeks to come out of the coop full time. Same situation, she was raised free range and when I got her she went into a 16 x 20 run with a roo and 8 other girls. She will adjust, or have a nervous breakdown...

9. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Well, the prima donna finally came out on her own this morning! The birds are pretty much leaving her alone, so I think all is good. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by