New bird with pinpoint pupils - Marek's?

autumnberrie

Hatching
May 19, 2022
Hi everyone, I just acquired some new birds and due to the nature of circumstances was not able to look at them first before purchasing. After a good look over today I find that two of the birds have very constricted pupils. Wondering if this is possibly ocular Marek's?
The birds have healthy red combs and wattles and seem to act normal. The pupils appear round and it's unclear to me if there is any change in colour. The other birds also have orange eyes. These are young birds, maybe around 16mos. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220519_212000662.jpg
    PXL_20220519_212000662.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 30
Hi everyone, I just acquired some new birds and due to the nature of circumstances was not able to look at them first before purchasing. After a good look over today I find that two of the birds have very constricted pupils. Wondering if this is possibly ocular Marek's?
The birds have healthy red combs and wattles and seem to act normal. The pupils appear round and it's unclear to me if there is any change in colour. The other birds also have orange eyes. These are young birds, maybe around 16mos. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
Thanks for any help!!
Yes, my opinion is there is a strong possibility this is ocular Marek’s. Did you already have an existing flock before acquiring these new birds? If so, have you kept them separate and used good biosecurity between groups?

I agree that definitely looks like pictures of ocular Mareks disease. It causes fading or greying of the iris and it makes the pupil appear irregular and smaller. Can you take these birds back? Mareks is spread through feather dust and dander which is very hard to shield other birds in the area from being exposed.

Thank you so much for the input. I cannot return the birds. They are separated from my other flock but not as far as I would have preferred. Trying to figure out how to best move forward. I have a small coop of 6-8wk chicks that were very near to these chickens so I am most concerned for their health. As far as biosecurity, do you recommend anything for a boot dip or anything? I have never dealt with disease like this so any tips would be appreciated until we can remove the sick birds.

Thank you so much for the input. I cannot return the birds. They are separated from my other flock but not as far as I would have preferred. Trying to figure out how to best move forward. I have a small coop of 6-8wk chicks that were very near to these chickens so I am most concerned for their health. As far as biosecurity, do you recommend anything for a boot dip or anything? I have never dealt with disease like this so any tips would be appreciated until we can remove the sick birds.
I know this is way too late to have any bearing on your situation, but I have one hen, very healthy, that has had constricted pupils since having a heat stroke while broody. She is not new, not sick, and has had this for months now. It is both eyes, and she can see well until it starts to get dark, but they go up then anyway, so it does not lessen her quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom