new bird

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mr carl, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mr carl

mr carl New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    East meadow
    Hi I have four hens they are A delaware,golden laced,silver laced,columbian laced wyandotte they are all 11 months old.I got them at the same time.My buddy just gave me a Australorp hen Im not sure how old see is but see is about the same size of my birds.I let them free range all day and at night they roost together,I have her for two days but as soon as she comes out of the coop they chase her all over,till she goes back in the coop.Is this normal?will they accept her?or should I do some thing else.thank carl

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

Since your Australorp is a new addition, the other hens are most likely establishing a pecking order. Usually there will be at least one gracious hen that will be her buddy after getting to know her. If you notice the other hens constantly chasing and attacking her, you should separate her. Make sure she has a big space to run around and hide in.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. mr carl

mr carl New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    East meadow
    thanks for the reply,How long would you say it should take for them to start staying together?they don't chase her all day its like 2 or 3 times a day.but she stays in the coop all day.I put food and water in there for her.thanks carl

5. mr carl

mr carl New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    East meadow
    thanks

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] They should get used to her and accept her within a week, more or less. Though she will probably stay at the bottom of the pecking order, being the new girl.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mr carl, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I agree with the above posts! Good luck and have fun!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Just make sure you keep an eye on the situation. Pecking order is one thing but flat out bullying will need to be dealt with. Good luck. :thumbsup

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by