1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New birds....any guesses on gender? picture heavy now!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-owner-31, Nov 6, 2010.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I haven't been on this forum in a while! Good to be back!

We lost our last girl at the beginning of this year (just a regular old commercial meat chicken of some kind.) She was around 3-4 (best guess) as she was given to me by someone.

About 2 months ago my daughter came home from school with TEN (10!) baby chics! (Only where we live! Haha!)

They came from the same type of place......we have commercial chicken houses ALL OVER the place down here.

So they are about 2 months old, and we have 9 now. Two of them have a few black feathers (which my daughter learned in school is a fault.) And one of them has white legs vs, the yellow/orange legs and a lighter colored comb and facial features. She (?) is very pretty!

Anyway, I know these pics aren't great, but I would love to know what you think the genders are! I am only willing to keep one roo, so I"m hoping I have at least 3-4 hens out of the group!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really do need better pics don't I? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    well i suspect no one else has jumped in because they don't know. me either. i don't know how many of the nine were pictured, but the ones that were look very similar, as in the same sex, but i don't know which. looks like a lot of comb for 2 months, but these look like a heavy meat bird and i am unfamiliar with them.

sorry

3. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Yea, they all do pretty much look alike in thier combs. Some are a teeny bit bigger than the others, and some have bigger "dewlaps" or whatever it is under thier beaks. (Sorry, new to this, not sure of the right term!)

I couldn't tell you the breed, but I am sure they will get as big as the ones we had before. Which were too big to fly. They couldn't even get up on a roost, they just laid on the ground. Here are some pics of the ones we had before when they were fully grown.

Not sure of the age of these two, but it is a hen and a roo. Festus and Ms. Kitty. Ms. Kitty is the one we lost earlier this year, we got her in 08 I think.

[​IMG]

These two are the same type as the ones we have now as well, but they were older than 2 months. They were both hens, although not fully grown (Peep and Pop....named by my 4 year old son.) My hand is in the pic for size reference. A hawk got one of them not too long after they moved outside. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunno if that helps or not! All I know is that they are from commercial meat chicken houses from the area. And there are A LOT of them around here. The smell is......fun......in the summer, haha!

4. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I know I'm probably wishful thinking here.....more than likely I will just have to wait for a crow or an egg But I got some more pics. [​IMG]

There's been a new development in thier appearance...yes, just since a couple days ago!

Kinda behind and under thier "ear," three of the birds have gotten A LOT redder than the other ones. Most of the others are still pink there, or they are so small and covered up by the feathers you can't see them at all. I have got a few more pics to show you. (I have noticed that most like to have full body shots.....sorry, I can get more!)

Still really pink there (could someone tell me the correct term?)
    [​IMG]

Two of the three that have the darker red parts:
    [​IMG]

Closeups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am pretty sure you have all pullets there. They look to be the Cornish Rock cross meat birds. They taste good and should be ready for the freezer soon unless you plan to raise them. They aren't looking as overgrown and freaky as the ones I have gotten though.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    They look like Cornish X to me too. From my experience with those, the males are generally much larger than the females at 8 weeks...which is about the age that you say they are. I usually can't tell too much by the size of their combs and wattles...usually I just go by size. Butchering the males first, and giving the females a little extra time to pack on some weight.

Hopefully you can get lucky and pick the right one [​IMG]

7. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thanks for the info!

I hadn't really planned on eating any of them, although I suppose I could try. Have NO clue how to kill and process a chicken, but it would be a good skill to learn. (Hubby says in case of zombie invasion.....I love him!) [​IMG]

Off to go research how to kill a chicken....any tips? (My kids would die if they knew I was considering this!)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Find someone else who will do it cheap? Or is it cheep?[​IMG]

It isn't as hard as you would think. The worst part to me is getting passed killing the bird and there is more than one way to do it.

Good luck. I really don't think these are the kind you want to keep for pets, they probably won't even live nearly as long as a purebred or some other mix. These are bred for meat and getting it in short order. This causes them to have several problems as they mature including heart attacks and growth that is too rapid for their legs to support the mass. I would eat them, and they will taste great, and get yourself some other not meat birds. There are plenty of folks in your area that raise chickens. By area, I mean state. Might I suggest some Naked Neck Orfingtons from Nava? Just ask her, she is in Ocala, FL. Tell her I sent you. And no, I don't get a kickback, buy you will make her chuckle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by