new birds stop old birds laying???

tiketyboo

Hatching
Jan 22, 2018
i have 4 plymouth barred rock who were laying in december 3 eggs a day, i added 8 more Lohman pullets about 18 weeks old, there was some pecking order battles going on from the plymouth rocks in that the Lohmans were having a problem getting to the food. but now the plymouths have not laid an egg in 2 weeks. there is lots of feed,lots of water, lots of room over 6 feet per bird, i give them some treats like corn or mixed grain most days but still no eggs from the plymouths, the Lohmans are starting to lay as their eggs are deeper brown and small.. any ideas??

This is very normal. Introducing new birds to a flock is a huge stressor. Stress can make hens stop laying for a brief period. Your older girls will start laying again once they process their stress and the social order adjusts itself with the new girls in the picture.

This is very normal. Introducing new birds to a flock is a huge stressor. Stress can make hens stop laying for a brief period. Your older girls will start laying again once they process their stress and the social order adjusts itself with the new girls in the picture.
thanks,, i guess i need more patience,

Welcome to BYC. Make sure to enter your location on your profile. A general area helps other members to answer questions when needed. Glad your here. I'm sure it won't take long & your older girls will be back at it.

Back
Top Bottom