New Birds.....what are they?

chicken-owner-31

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
NV
I got two new birds today. (I already had two hens that I *think* are white plymouth rocks.) Anyway, the only thing I could find on the internet that matched these is an industrial meat chicken referred to as a "Ross." (I have no clue....just repeating what I read!) I know that these two initially came from a chicken farm, and have been running around in a stable for the past several months. I have never heard of a Ross, so just wanted some opinions!

chickens003.jpg

Rooster face:
chickens004.jpg

Hen face:
chickens005.jpg

And here are my two that I believe are white rocks:
chickens008.jpg

chickens009.jpg

Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

I have no clue how old the first two are. I do know that all four came from local chicken farms.....but I don't know if they are meat or egg layers. The last two hens are about 6-7 months old.

As far as weight goes......I would guess that the rooster is somewhere around 6-7 pounds. The hens are probably around 4-5. They are pretty big! I will go and get a reference picture to show how tall they are.

Thanks for your effort!
big_smile.png

Mine sure do look like yours! I wouldn't be surprised if mine were a cross either. I just don't know enough about chickens to even guess a cross! Haha! I am just going off of what little info I know and what I've been told.

Here are some (abliet bad) size refernce pics. My hands are a bit on the small side, but it shows the size of my hens.....they are huge to me!

chickens2008.jpg

And the new ones I just got today...that is a yard stick.....

chickens2001.jpg

chickens2004.jpg

Tuper, you birds look like the Cornish cross meat birds. They will usually get so big they have problems walking and then die.

Linck, your cockerel may be a Leghorn. Not sure on the pullet, she looks like a mix of some sort.

So all 4 of them look like Cornish Rocks? (The two with the smaller combs I know are younger than the other two.) AND they are going to get too big for their feet and die?
sad.png

The rooster already walks with a hitch in his get-along. When do I know when they are in too much pain? I don't think I could snap their necks when the time comes. Do vets euthanize chickens? (I sound silly as all heck don't I?) This makes me sad!

Back
Top Bottom