1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by merrymutts, Apr 18, 2017.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

Found a nice NPIP poultry breeder close by and was able to purchase 5 young Black Orpingtons...3 pullets and 2 Roos.

Guessing the birds are about 4-6 months old...very pretty and very healthy looking.

As I do not have a quarantine pen, I went ahead and introduced them to the existing flock and everything is going well. The new ones have already found the feed bins and water buckets.

When should I expect the Roos to start crowing and doing their " I am a MAN bird " thing ?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    A lot depends on a lot of things. How many birds did you have before this? How old are they? I would expect BO's to mature a bit more slowly, however, they could crow at any moment. They should be interested fairly soon, but it may be some time your older girls think they are good enough.

Keep an eye on the pullets, sometimes they can get pretty roughed up with a juvenile rooster.

It just takes time.

Mrs K

3. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

I'd had 17 hens at one time...lost two to predators...so 15 of varying ages and breeds when I introduced the Black Orpingtons.

So far the only picking on is from the three RIR hen s...they were the on the bottom of the pecking order till the Orpis came in. Otherwise, all is quiet and peaceful.

I hope to let them go back to free ranging a bit in the evenings, after the Orpis become more accustomed to their new digs. Lately I'd only been able to let the girls out from around 3:00 PM - till dusk...they are sure ticked off that I have not opened the gate recently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by