New blonde girlfriend leads to jealousy

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gordonburrito, Nov 30, 2010.

1. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    I came out for my morning egg collection and I noticed my sweet little easter egger Goldielocks was getting BRIGHT red. I thought to myself, I wonder if she will squat for me. I noticed that she has become a lot less skittish around me lately. Both easter eggers have gone from our friendliest chicks to the most elusive. It has been sad because they are the sweetest, softest, and most wonderful lap chickens ever if you can capture one. Well I reached down and to my surprise she did a full blown squat for me. I almost fell over because we have been waiting for our easter eggers to mature for what seems like forever. All our other more traditional egg layers have been laying since this summer. I had to call my wife and let her know because...... this is huge! At least in our small world [​IMG]. Her sister was less jumpy when I approached but would not squat.

[​IMG]

So, I came back out after my wife got home and she did it again! I gave her a tail shake to see if she'd fluff. Then we picked her up and petted her and she was perfectly calm and content......until we put her down. We had these three bumping up against my legs. I thought they were hungry but it was actually JEALOUSY! They all took turns chest bumping and giving poor Goldie pecks and then wanting to be picked up themselves! I guess they all like me and they don't want to share. I've been teasing my wife telling her I have another blonde in my life. Hopefully soon we will have BLUE eggs as well! I'll be posting again soon with blue egg pictures (at least I hope so). In the mean time we have another pet chicken who is a LOT easier to catch now.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    loooove the title thread! [​IMG]
    cute story. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Girls will be girls!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Goldielocks is adorable!!! I love EEs. Yes, I think I will almost jump for joy when my EEs start squatting- eggs coming sooooonnnn!!!

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    congrats on the ee

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your birds are beautiful!

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Congrats! I totally get where you're coming from. Both of my EEs recently started squatting. One began on Thanksgiving (I'm thankful!), and the other did it Sunday. Yes, I'm very happy that my sexlinks have been laying for a couple of months, but there's just something special about an EE. The long wait, the anticipation, and the surprise egg color!

Your girls are gorgeous!

8. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Feels like Ive been waiting for ever for mine too! I love them to death but they are so slow to mature!

9. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Well a bit of an update. I was outside to collect eggs this afternoon and I peered through the window and......Goldielocks was sitting in one of the nest boxes [​IMG]. Unfortunately, she spotted me (she's our sentry chicken after all) and headed out of the coop to greet me and never went back in [​IMG]. I think we should have an egg by tomorrow though since she seems to be very interested in the nestboxes now [​IMG] At least that's been our experience with our other girls. That would make her somewhere between 28 and 29 weeks old for our first Easter Egger layer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  10. HappyTalons

HappyTalons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Well Goldie gave us an egg today!

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this would be olive or green . . . looks oliveish to me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by