1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Blood

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Marion, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a flock of 23 RIR (22hens, 1roo) and have hatched 34 of their offspring to keep for eggs... they are 8 weeks old now and it "appears" that there are 11 cockerels and 23 pullets... I want to have fertile eggs but of course mating the girls with their brothers is not a great idea and I know I need to get a couple of unrelated cockerels to put with them. What I need to know is if any of you have or know what is the best way to go... wait and get grown roos later... buy a few male chicks and put them in when they are out of the brooder... will they get picked on if they are younger than the pullets? How is the best way to go about this introduction of new blood to my flock?

2. Holly O

Holly O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    No clue hun!

3. 19sarah90

19sarah90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Sodus, Michigan
    I have gotten young roos to put in with my hens once they started laying, and have never had trouble. The younger roos usually are frightened at first and must be kept separate for a while... the usual quarantine will suffice. Before a week is up they are usually aching to get to the hens. And the hens never seemed to mind a new handsome man.

4. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Can you keep the father to breed them to? If they have good qualities then you could line breed.....

If they could be improved, you could get an unrelated roo from good stock to breed them with and hopefully will improve the offspring.

I think that you can do either way. You can add roos to a flock of older hens or just bring them all up together. Whatever works for you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by