1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New blue 2-chicken, clear-roofed coop/homemade feeder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Nov 9, 2009.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Adding: To conserve space in my tiny coop, I made my first pvc pipe feeder to install against a corner wall to give the chickens a bit more open space. I am going to swap out the 1 liter bottle for a 2-3 liter one - and I might use silicon caulk to "glue" it in place - right now it has clear packing tape holding it together, and an upside down tiny rubbermaid round container taped into place to keep the feed from falling out the bottom. Its a little precariously perched on an L-bracket and held up with tiny bungee cords. We'll see if it is intact in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Thank you to all the generous helpful and creative folks on this site who have inspired me and shown me how to build a coop - and a special thank you to Patandchickens and the other wonderful people who responded to specific questions as I was in the planning/building process. Here is it!!

I still have some details to finish before the birds can move in, but getting the roof on was my biggest challenge and I did that yesterday - so I feel like its pretty much done - and I'm really pleased with it! The big hole in one wall will be covered with a big piece of plexiglass attached to the outside wall with metal mirror clips - and I might try to cut the scrap of the roofing to try to partially cover some of the vent areas a bit for the colder months. We'll see. I also plan to fold a piece of silver bubblewrap into a part-box-shaped "roof" to go over the roost area so the birds have insulation at night as they sleep. We'll see how that goes. Okay, the pictures!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] this is the area under the roof that I still need to cover with harware cloth - I didn't really anticipate all the areas that would be left open with this roofing set up - it is going to have so much ventilation!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Looks good! [​IMG]

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    super cute - love the color and that clear roof!

4. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    What is the roof made of? It looks great.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks good! I *love* the color especially [​IMG]

Pat

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Great looking coop [​IMG]

7. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    The roof is Suntuf panells in "solar grey" - I wanted translucent or white panels but the only colors I could get locally were clear (which could be too hot for the chickens), opaque green or solar grey. I guess I kind of like the solar grey after all because you can see through it - its like looking through sungrasses - and it should reflect heat away from the coop. The coop itself was build mostly from scraps of plywood - but that roof (with the wavy foam strips and special roofing screws) cost $50!!

8. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Looks good.

When you get that bubble wrap contraption in service, I'll be very interested in hearing how it's working out. I have a similar design coop, and it's losing all of its built up heat from the daylight very quickly once the sun goes down. I'm interested in fiddling with ideas to hold on to some of that heat a bit longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by