New Blue Bantam Orpington Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, May 28, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Well, of the four eggs I had left I got two babies. I have put the two of them under on of my broodies. They seem to be doing great. Here are pics of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third baby was born deformed. It's beak was severly crossed and it only had one eye. Here is a pic of it before I got it all the way out. I did put it down. I don't think it could have ever lived like that. But it was a fighter.

[​IMG]

And the fourth one was in the egg upside down and I tried to save it but it was wedged in there pretty good. I was just expecting a dead chick but when I realized it was moving, I tried to find it's beak and before I could get the head up, it had aspirated too much fluid. It was pretty and formed correctly. But I guess that is how it goes.

Anyway, hopefully I don't have two roosters or two hens, maybe one of each? What are the chances?

Thanks for looking.

Marie

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH MY OH MY cutest little things!!!! I want one! [​IMG]

3. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    LITTLE BLUEBERRIES!!!! CUTE!!!

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    They are so cute!!!! Congratulations. I'm so sorry you lost 2 of them. The deformed one was just so sad. I imagine, at the very least, she would have starved to death. I'm sorry you had to put her down, but it was the only humane thing to do.

Congrats on those lovely little peepers!

Penny

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the kind words and support. You guys are so great, this forum is so great. I hope to have one boy and one girl but right now I am just happy they are here and healthy. Mama silkie is doing great with them too. I will update when I can.

Marie

6. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Oh they are beautiful! Sorry about losing the two. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm amazed it could even pip at all with that severe of cross beak.

8. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Oh, it barely pipped. After it did not do anything else and after opening up the other one and it dying, I opened up a little at the top to see what was going on. That is when I saw only the bottom half of the beak. Then I was thinking it was caught by the membrane and held open or something, it looked very strange. So I opened up just enough to get the head loose and was going to leave it and let it get out the rest of the way on it's own. But after seeing that, I knew it would have to be put down.

It is very sad but at least it did not have to suffer long.

Marie

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Ok-where are the fluffy pics?! They should be dry and fluffy by now!

10. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Sorry, but I lost one today. A stupid dog attacked my chickens and of course killed one of the newborn babies after running mama off her nest. I was gone for 30 minutes tops and came home to a dog in my run and no chickens anywhere. I found all but one of them. She is still missing. Several have wounds that I have to doctor, but at least most are safe and sound. The dog catcher came and got the dog who has puppies somewhere according to her sagging teats. She was not aggressive and I was able to catch her for the dog cather. It was a mini doberman mix I guess, bigger than most of the mini pins I have seen. About as tall as my westie. She was very hungry though, ate an entire bowl of food before animal control got here. I don't blame the dog but dang I am mad. No collar of course. The last dog that came is dead, animal control put it down because no one claimed it. I am sure that is what will happen to this dog and it is very sad. I bet she would be a good pet to someone who cared. Anyway, the second baby is back with mom and I will keep an eye on it but it has an open would too so not sure if it will make it. Will keep you updated.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by