1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Blue Cochin Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lexustami, Oct 21, 2007.

1. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Hello all,

I just wanted to show off my new pretty boy. He came with 2 beautiful blue hens and a splash pullet.

He is very gentle with them. He really knows how to treat a lady!

[​IMG]

Take care,

Tami

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    WHOA! He's HUUUUUUGE! Very Pretty!

3. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    He sure is handsome! His feet are so fluffy it is amazing. I wish my brama had feet that looked like that. He is a stunning color as well.
    Rachel

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Wow, that is one handsome, studly rooster. Cute kid, too. [​IMG]

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Looks like a great bird, where you get him?

6. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    What a handsome guy! Yeah, where did you get him?

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    He is sooo handsome! And holding such a nice roo!!

8. lexustami

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Yeah, they are both pretty handsome.

The roo came from a breeder that had a booth at the Mt. Hope Swap Meet in Mt. Hope, OH.

I walked around for hours looking at the thousands of different chickens that were there. I kept coming back this this blue trio. All 3 of them are gorgeous. I then added one of her splash pullets since she just started to lay eggs.

Most of the chickens there were in poor condition. Real bad scaly legs mites, feathers picked out and just overall hideous looking. Most of those did come from the Amish.

And not to get on a different subject but all of the dogs they had. The Amish have to run major puppy mills. I've never been to a function like this but that is what I thought as soon as I saw all of the puppies.

These 4 that I got are in overall good condition. The roo does have scaly leg mites and the splash had a major case of lice and mites. Those things are relatively easy to treat. They will be quarantined for at least 2 months. I don't want to take any chances with all of the others that I've raised from day old chicks.

Take care,

Tami

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's quite a handsome boy! Lice and the like are relatively easy to treat; it's just the respiratory stuff that's scary. (And you are correct about the puppy mills, BTW.)

10. lexustami

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Speckledhen,

That is why these are going to be in quarantine for awhile. I may even decide to keep them seperate permanently.

I have never seen puppies displayed in 10 gallon fish tanks before. It was really quite sad. And they are very expensive as well. Most in the $250.00-$500.00 range.

My little girl really wanted a puppy but all I could think of was spending that kind of money on a puppy and get it home and have it die of parvo. Plus, I didn't really want to support a puppy mill.

Take care,

Tami

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by