new Blue Copper Marans chicks + Q's + pictures!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cpwhip, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    I bought 4 Blue Copper Marans yestereday from a wonderful local couple we met:) we are not sure of the sexes but I'm hoping for one Roo out of the 4 what do you think? also they are supposed to be 4 weeks old but the little black one looks to be more like 2 weeks old?
    my big question I put them in with the RSL that are 8 weeks old the RSL dont seem to care much but I still worry, is there a better
    way to introduce them? the chicks stay in the coop and the RSL stay outside till dusk even though the doors are open.
    thanks!
    new chicks. the chick age in question is the little dark one far right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the RSL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    No quarantine period? Are you sure they are all blue copper marans? The dark one makes me wonder.

3. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    No quarantine period. they are what I was told:) two are Ameraucanas.

4. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    after doing a web search I found this chick that looks just like the dark one in question
    it said it was a blue/black copper marans? the lady I got them from has both.
    [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that, in the 4th pic, the blue one standing directly behind the light one is a rooster. [​IMG]

6. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks chicmom thats what we were thinking yesterday when we picked them but its not an exact science:)
    I'm new to chickens and I'm finding the surprises are a Blast!!! you never know what they will turn out like,
    where with the RSL I already new so this is much more fun:weee I saw the black copper maran roo and the blue yesterday
    while we were at her farm and I never seen such beautiful roosters in my life! and her farm was so clean you could eat off the
    floors. I'm happy with the chicks I got I just wanted some opinions on age of lil darkie and if I should worry about aggression with the RSL's
    I do notice the RSL girls get jealous when I talk to the new chicks is that normal?

7. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm betting the little dark one will be fine. I don't usually have problems with chicks, especially if you add a group all at once. I would just keep my eye on the little one, just to make sure it can get to the food and water, and it's not being bullied.

They're really cute! Thanks for sharing the pics!

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I do think the older ones are probably not really jealous, but just maybe a little more pushy since they're older. I always have a few hens that are very "outspoken" and will run up to me, demanding to be held. It's sooo funny! Certain ones just always stand out. I've got 23 chickens, and I don't name them all, except for the "characters". LOL

9. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Ameraucanas and Blue Coppers?! Great choices, that's my dream coop!

10. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank chicmom I think youre right:) I've been checking on them amost every hour since yesterday
    lol except when they were sleeping. the lil dark guy/girl? is eating like a pig and all huddled up with the others
    so I think they will be fine. I bet lil darkie will be the pretties of all!
    Thanks Uncle I love them so far so good:) here's a pic of the eggs I got yesterday while picking out the chicks
    please pardon the two missing lol it was a great breakfast! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by