New Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bishopschickens, May 20, 2010.

1. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Sorry I am not a great photographer but these are from Paul's Poultry/ blue poultry and are 3 months old now. We will be offering there offspring for sale in August, September time period we hope. These are some of the best BLRW you can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    We have a total of 17 and believe we have 5 roos and 12 hens left. Only one ended up with a single comb and she will be sold soon as we don't want her in our breeding program. Also we sold a few others that were black as we don't want them either.

Brandon

3. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    You do realize breeding blue to black(laced) produces the same % of blue chicks as a blue to blue mating, right ?

4. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Yes I know but I plan to breed blue over splash and the rest of the splash I will breed together to get 100% splash. If I kept the blacks I would run the risk of getting more blacks. Of course I could put them with the splash to get 100% blue but eghh to much work and the blacks just look like golden laced to me.

Brandon

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Isn't the whole idea with the Blue to achieve as many blues as possible? I think you would want to keep the Blacks to cross with you Splash and keep getting Blues as often as possible, BUT that being said....breed for quality of conformation over color FIRST AND FOREMOST! Don't just breed to get a cool color, please, you are not helping the breed any. And just because you got them from someone who has a good flock, don't think ALL of your birds are going to be as good as the parent flock, they aren't always. Don't mean to sound preachy, but many people think it is all about color and I would hate for them to read this as a newbie and think that it is all color. Get a good chicken and then get their color right.

6. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Lord have mercy. I know how to raise these birds as this is my second flock. I cross the blue over splash to get 50% splash and 50% blue. The splash over splash are 100% splash as I get a lot of request for just splash. Figured while I was at it I would happen to mention what lines they are from. Guess I will go sit in time out now until my next lecture.

Brandon

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    LOL.

Anyways........

Back in the day I thought the Paul's birds were best as well, but since I've seen others with nicer birds. Still a good line no doubt. Be interested to see what their adult feathers come in as.

8. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Whoa, calm down, people are just trying to help, after all just like with dogs, the point of breeding should be to breed a better bird overall, and that is the advice you have gotten here. [​IMG]

9. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Hi yotetrapper and love your sig by the way (off topic). Yeah it is hard now to tell exactly what they will look like. Once they get there adult feathers we will keep the best of the best. We lost a couple about 2 weeks after getting them to a cold snap that came in and I did not expect it. It was a toss up between foley's and Paul's. Ended up going with Blue Poultry on an auction and then bought some through paul. Believe Blue poultry is a cross of the two. Figured this would be a fun thread I could start and take pictures as they grow.

10. bishopschickens

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by