NEW Blue Swedish ducklings?? PLEASE HELP - URGENT

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by angelapatton07, Apr 11, 2012.

1. angelapatton07

angelapatton07 New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi,

I ordered ducks from a hatchery and my female blue swedish died... I think there were neurological issues or something... she couldnt open her eyes all the way, she wouldn't eat, couldnt swallow water and was constantly falling asleep. She passed within 24 hours while I was holding her.

So, I ordered two more girls, just in case. I just received them along with one female white pekin and they BOTH seem to have the same problem... any suggestions??? It looks as if a thick film is over their eyes. PLEASEEEE HELP ME!!!

2. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry about the ducklings :(. I would suggest buy from a different hatchry next time, and maybe go pick them up to reduce health issues from frighting. Sorry not much help

3. angelapatton07

angelapatton07 New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    Well I've been ordering from them for YEARS and never had one problem...just the FEMALE blue swedish.. and the white pekin that was shipped with them is completely healthy! So I dont get it!

Oh, and could someone suggest something for their eyes??? Should I get eye drops, or wash them with a rag?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry about your ducklings, yes get some kind of eye wash go to your feed store they should have something that would be safe to use, have you contacted the hatchery? you could try some warm salt water and wash their eyes out. but i would get something antibiotic eye salve from the feed store or even a pet store. neomycin with out pain can be applied around the eyes very small amt don't gunk it in. and sorry its under these circumstances but [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So sad to see this.

[​IMG]

Contact the hatchery. If there is some kind of illness affecting their ducklings, they need to know. Sometimes there are brooder problems, with bacteria, that will affect hatchlings.

Get them into a warm (85 to 90F) bit of water up to their bellies so they can wash off a bit.

Do you have gro gel or similar product? If it's a nutrient deficiency that might help.

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    They probably incubate their different breeds separately. I'd also be thinking of a sanitation problem in the incubator.

So sorry to hear about your little ducklings :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by