new boiled egg trick maybe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by HillCountryMomma, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    So,I logged on the other day thinking I must be doing somethign seriously wrong because I couldn't get my fresh boiled eggs to peel!

I was amazed to see I wasn't the only one, and to learn why. Well, what a 'duh' moment.

I already had 18 boiled eggs in the fridge though. To late to try and of the do-ahead tricks.

But! I think I may have stumbled onto something. A couple of the egg shells got cracked when I tossed them all in a bowl and put them in the fridge. I'm finding that the eggs whose shells had been cracked peeled MUCH easier. So, I peeled a few uncracked ones (gave up on a couple and threw them in the scrap bucket they were so bad). Then I cracked the last 3. Just rolled them around and made a bunch of little cracks. Put them back in the fridge for several hours. Just peeled a couple and the membrane and shell came off *SO* much easier!!! Not perfectly clean, but mostly good. I'm going to wait and peel the the last cracked shell egg tomorrow and see what happens.

Maybe rolling and making bunches of little cracks lets in the needed air. Dunno! Maybe I just had a lucky couple that peeled well!

Liz

2. fleenorfarmmom

fleenorfarmmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Blountville, Tn
    That's kinda the same thing as poking a small hole, allows a little airspace in. Worked for me.

3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Before you boil them, take a pin and poke a hole in the large end of the eggs and put plenty of salt in the water. The eggs should peel easily. Don't be cheap with the salt, and don't over boil them.

Rufus

4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I peel mine by after I poor the water off them I put a lid on the pan and shake it up and down ane the shells come off easier.
    Chris

5. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    I had this same problem until an old man at the feed store told me, "they aren't old enough". He said to let them sit in the fridge for 7-10 days before hard boiling.
    He was right!! They peel awesome!
    I have never been able to get the 'poking holes' concept to work. My hens lay such hard eggs, I can't even crack them on a bowl anymore. I chipped one the other day:eek: Now I use the counter edge!

6. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I have been told that the eggs are not old enough also. I keep them for around 7 to 10 days like PearlD said and I have not had any problems with peeling my eggs. I have had no luck with putting small pin holes in my eggs before I boil them. So I just let them age a little before I boil them

7. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I just use salt!! I boil freshly layed eggs. I don't even refrigate my eggs at all. Just add 1/4-1/3 cup of salt. I know that sounds like alot but hey salt is cheap and the eggs peel like a charm. I saw this on the food network one day when Miss Paula Deen was cooking fresh layed eggs. It really does work!!! Try it .. It is alot less trouble than poking holes in them and then end up breaking your eggs before they even get into the pan. Good luck!!!

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just age the eggs.

I have to wonder how good all that salt is for you?

9. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    After they are boiled. Pour off hot water. Shake and lightly bounce in pan. Run cold water over eggs until eggs have cooled off. Easy to peel.

10. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Well heck, you mean to tell me that I've been fighting to peel my fresh eggs for almost 20 years, when all I had to do was age them a week or 2? [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by