1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New born chick has curled toes. Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TammyF, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TammyF

TammyF In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    I have a day old chick with curled toes. She can walk. I thought I seen a thread about this. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Songster

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Search curled toes and you'll find how to use a bandaid or regular tape to fix this issue.

Make sure to do it right away before the feet harden.

3. FrankA

FrankA In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi Tammy. I have a Barred Rock with curled toes. I got her at about 4-5 weeks old. She is 11 months old now. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She keeps up with all the other chickens. Check out a picture of her in my blog. link is in my signature. Her name is Fancy feet. There isn't much content there yet as I just started it last week. lol.

4. song of joy

song of joy Crowing 6 Years

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It's often associated with a vitamin B deficiency. If you treat it right away the chick may fully recover from this. Toes need to be taped in a flat normal position. You'll find some threads on BYC explaining how to do this. If caught right away, the taping only has to be done for a few days. The goal is to catch it early while the bones are still somewhat soft.

At the same time, address the vitamin B deficiency. Some folks use Poly Vi Sol (liquid vitamins). There are threads on BYC that discuss this. (sorry, I don't know how to attach a thread link!) I don't know the dose, but I've heard it's effective. (Try vitamin b deficiency and curled toes when searching threads)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: