New born chick has curled toes. Help!!

TammyF

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I have a day old chick with curled toes. She can walk. I thought I seen a thread about this. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.

Search curled toes and you'll find how to use a bandaid or regular tape to fix this issue.

Make sure to do it right away before the feet harden.

I have a day old chick with curled toes. She can walk. I thought I seen a thread about this. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.
Hi Tammy. I have a Barred Rock with curled toes. I got her at about 4-5 weeks old. She is 11 months old now. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She keeps up with all the other chickens. Check out a picture of her in my blog. link is in my signature. Her name is Fancy feet. There isn't much content there yet as I just started it last week. lol.

It's often associated with a vitamin B deficiency. If you treat it right away the chick may fully recover from this. Toes need to be taped in a flat normal position. You'll find some threads on BYC explaining how to do this. If caught right away, the taping only has to be done for a few days. The goal is to catch it early while the bones are still somewhat soft.

At the same time, address the vitamin B deficiency. Some folks use Poly Vi Sol (liquid vitamins). There are threads on BYC that discuss this. (sorry, I don't know how to attach a thread link!) I don't know the dose, but I've heard it's effective. (Try vitamin b deficiency and curled toes when searching threads)

Back
Top Bottom