new born chick i fear is blind or her eyelids are sealed shut

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridachickhatcher, Jul 10, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    i had 14 chicks hatch out healthy and i have one RSL hen still being a lazy girl she hasnt pipped yet and in of the 14 i looked at her and notice shes not opening her eyes she is walking around with them shut and looking at them it looks like they are sealed and i told my mom i think she is going to have to kill her cause she wont live long not being able to see but my mom told me to wait

2. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    Someone else on BYC had the same situation a month or so ago. Hopefully they will read your post and lend you a hand. I do remember that the person had seperated the chick for water & feeding. I believe they used an eye dropper to give it water then they were placing the chick on a paper plate with chick starter on it and they would scratch around the plate with their finger and the chick was catching on to scratching for food.

3. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:oh my mom will just let her die she doesnt want us to have special needs chickens

UPDATE:NEVERMIND Good news! i saw her open one of her eyes when i picked her up to transfer her to the tub brooder with the other 13 chicks the smell of the bator might have been hurting her eyes cause [​IMG] it stinks in there

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    That's sad...but that's what my parents would do too...

But, I think it wouldn't be that bad if you just follow those small steps there:D

5. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    Quote:oh my mom will just let her die she doesnt want us to have special needs chickens

UPDATE:NEVERMIND Good news! i saw her open one of her eyes when i picked her up to transfer her to the tub brooder with the other 13 chicks the smell of the bator might have been hurting her eyes cause [​IMG] it stinks in there

[​IMG]

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    In the past I've had several newly hatched chicks that will keep their eyes closed for their first day or 2. Not sure why but they've all opened them eventually.

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Check the eyes aren't glued shut with egg gunk. If that's the problem you'll probably have to wet a bit of cotton wool and carefully soak the eyelids till you can wipe the gunk away. If that's what's going on then underneath it all the chick might be perfectly fine!

8. horrybirdlady

horrybirdlady New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    I have a chick that hatched 3 days early. Not sure why since the others are waiting still. This chick had it's yoke sack & seams 2 be blind. What should I do & why would he hatch so early. I tried 2 clean his eyes & they come open he just don't open them. Anyone with advice please help. Thanks ahead of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by