New born Chick insides coming out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Newby3511, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Newby3511

Newby3511 Hatching

Mar 12, 2010
    Hi,
    Please help! My 8 yr old son and I took on a dominique rooster and hen a few months back. (I've learned we need more hens now). Yesterday I discovered baby chicks in the yard as the hen had chosen to nest under my shed instead of the coop. Sadly, a predator had killed our hen and only 3 chicks made it. Of these three, one looked very puny and i thought it was dead. It appears to be a fighter and I placed it on a heating pad and it perked up. While it still seems strong, its insides are coming out of it's backside. I am torn, because while I want to help it, I don't want to cause it to suffer. Does anyone have any idea what caused this and can it be fixed or not? Any help is appreciated. I know this may not be a big issue to professionals, but my son is attached to his animals.

Thanks

[email protected]

2. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Sorry to hear about your tragedy, I have an 8 year old too.
    All you can do is support the chick and see how this plays out. Give water by dripping it off the end of your finger and encourage eating wet chick starter. (How old is the chick?)
    Keep him warm and wrapped in a dish towel. Heating pads can quickly burn tiny animals even if they don't seem that hot to you so be careful.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    X2

i hope the chick pulls through! do you have any idea what caused this? was it the predetor that got your hen or is it simply unexplained?

4. Newby3511

Newby3511 Hatching

Mar 12, 2010
    I was really puzzled. I have been building a new coop and they refused to go into the old one. They chose to roost on top of it instead. When she began sitting on the eggs, I didn't know where she was and thought something had gotten her. I later discovered her nest and realized she was sitting. I am so new that when i went to feed my goats, i saw an odd looking bird in their pen. Duh! thats a chick! When I went back to the nest, i discovered the hen. It appeared to have been drug to the back fence and something pulled its head through the fence and off. She had 14 eggs and I only found the 3 chicks and 1 egg. I am just wondering if this was a lone predator or what could aggravate her on this side of the fence and be able to get to her head on the other side. Feathers on both sides. I am puzzled. They were either hatched yesterday or the day before so I'd say they are 2 to 3 days old.

5. Newby3511

Newby3511 Hatching

Mar 12, 2010
    Well unfortunately the sickly chick didn't make it. The other two are thriving and showing off. Will post pics soon.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'm sorry for the loss of your chick [​IMG] hopefully the others are pullets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by