New born chick under mom has wound on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HamorHollow, Jun 27, 2010.

1. HamorHollow

HamorHollow Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I didn't want to disturb mom and baby too much, but I did steal the baby and take a look at it. There is a red gash on her neck that appears to be through the first layer of skin. This is mom's first chick and she's sitting on 4 other eggs, so there is a possibility mom may have freaked out and pecked baby or maybe baby got cut on the shell when hatching. The wound isn't bleeding and I see no sign of infection. Baby is happily under mom again.

Do I leave things be or should I try to sneak baby out and put something on the wound. I would prefer that mom raise her, although I do have 2 other chicks inside that are about 2.5 weeks.

The hen is not one of the brighter bulbs of the flock.

Thanks,

Kelly

2. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    Is the mom with the flock or separate? My older hens will peck at the babys and eventualy killed 2 of them by puncturing their neck...

How long ago was the chick born? The mom does not want to leave the eggs and the baby might want to wonder around but she will not let the chick do so as long as she has eggs to sit on.

Good luck

3. HamorHollow

HamorHollow Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    j'aime mes poules :

Is the mom with the flock or separate? My older hens will peck at the babys and eventualy killed 2 of them by puncturing their neck...

How long ago was the chick born? The mom does not want to leave the eggs and the baby might want to wonder around but she will not let the chick do so as long as she has eggs to sit on.

Good luck

Mom is separated with her babies. The chick was born sometime between mid-afternoon and early this evening, so it is less then 6 hours old.

Kelly​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by