New born chick with curled toes...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Caseyb2, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Caseyb2

Caseyb2 New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Hello. :)
    This is my first post, so excuse me if this is in the wrong thread area.
    I'm currently worried about one straight-from-the-egg newborn. It's feet are curled like a fist, but the rest of the leg seems fine.
    We've had chicks before with leg problems (ones that have had curled toes but legs they couldn't stand on) all of them had passed no matter what we did. (Bandages and stints).
    Those chicks look like this:
    [​IMG]

I can't find a picture to explain the fist-like structure of our newborn, But I'm extremely worried that when this chick dries, it will become like the picture above.
    I am also scared on how the chick lays. It doesn't pick up its' head and it's movement can only be described as "flinging" for to move around the incubator, he flings his body.
    I just wanted to know if this is normal for a newborn chick.
    And if it isn't, should we stint the leg when it is dry to heal the toes?

I'm sorry if I am not explaining well enough, Please reply if you need more info!
    I will take a picture of our chick soon!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I saw on another site where the person had cut out a footprint from a thin piece of postcard (looked like a little duck print) and superglued the bottom of the foot to it to keep the toes straight. He said that by the time the glue wore off, the toes remained straight/normal. I don't hatch, so have no personal experience myself, but maybe that idea will help you...

3. scheelgrl

scheelgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    elkview, wv
    hello! i recently hatched out two chicks with curled toes. one had both feet curled into fists, and the other had just one foot. i cut out shoes for them out of poster board and applied it with a bandaid. the chick with both feet sadly perished within 24 hours and the other chick woth one foot affected took his shoe off himself at 3 days and has been doing well ever since. the problem with the first chick is i think he got smothered by the others under the lamp when he couldnt get around very well. to do over. i woyld separate vhe handicapped ones but still allow them to see the other healthy chicks. hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by