new born duck with flopy neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinkado, May 11, 2011.

1. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    ok, its been a while now, so i better put this up
    one of my ducks who pipped backwards and had to get help as he was awefully shrink wraped has not stood up, it has been 24 hours, the poor thing was very weak when i got to him, i didnt want to help to early, i made sure all yolk was absorbed and then let him dry
    now hes chirping, and he lyes on his side, kicking a bit, trying to preen but cant keep his head up at all, my other two are hopping around already
    so what could this be, could it be because he was backwards in his egg and tightly squished in there?
    i have given himvit water but making no difference, i now have him on my chest keeping him warm, i uped my body temp with a heat pad so i can keep him warm, i dont want to put him with the others, coz there peeking everything right now

so, should i continue on, or cull, i dont want to do it, but i dont have time or experiance for a disabled duck, but i will put the effort into it if hes curable and has a chance of a normal ducky life

2. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    just looked at him again, its like hes stuck in the 'im in an egg' possition, he wiggles about a bit, but hasnt yet got up, he lies on his side, head down towards his chest, and leg slightly pulled up to his chest,

3. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    any advice?
    i have added sugar to the vit water and put the wee fella in a box of his own, in same brooder as the other but hes protected from them, but can hear them, only problem, is my good duckyss are already trying to jump around, funny, watching there attempts at leaps,
    im hoping tomorrow the wee fella will be better, hes in the warmer part of the brooder, its at 96F the other two are in the cooler secton at 92 F

4. pinkado

May 10, 2011
    bump? [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd give him a little more time since he had such a rough start. And please go to the duck thread and post also their is always experienced duck people who will help.. Please let us know how the wee one is doing.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by