New born Scarlet Kingsnake.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by austin, May 1, 2008.

1. austin

austin New Egg

May 1, 2008
    Two nights ago i was going to my garge,to get some thing to eat i suposebly stepped right over it . When i turned around there it was a baby scarlt kingsnake . I picked it up and then put it in my 10 g. fish tank . With snake bedding,rock cove ,and water dish i went to the pet store right away and got some crickets put them in the cage . But seem not to be eating it. any suggestion on what i should feed it? I tryed the cut pinkies but still scared of every thing going on aroud it.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Uhm, I'd imagine you should probably let her go. Can you post a pic so I can see how big it is? But I'd imagine it would probably do better in the wild. I don't know much about snakes though..

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
  4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I had a baby milk snake that I caught. She was really skittish, tried to bite me at first, but then she calmed down after a week or so. I fed her pinkies but had to be motionless or leave the room once she struck. Try putting the meat between chopsticks and "dancing" it in front of her/him. Or just let her get used to her surroundings.

Unfortunatly, Milky Way (my milk snake) kept escaping, and one day my cat got her. She wasn't dead, but had a bad gash on her side and there was nothing we could do. We let her out into the wild and hopefully right now she's waking up from hibernation and saying, "hey, I'm starved! What can a snake get to eat around here?"

Good luck with your scarlet king!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    And milk snakes, which are closely related to kings, only eat rodents/other snakes. Won't eat insects, so forget the crickets.

Can you post a pic?

6. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Nah u don't have to let it go!! It prob would enjoy a pinky mouse though they can be finicky eaters I'd go to the pet store and ask for the smallest pinky they can find! I would give it a place to hide under so it feels safe it might eat right away or it may take a week or two depends on how long ago it ate last!! How long is the snake?

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Kingsnakes aren't insect eaters, very few snakes are. You'll have to get the smallest pinkies you can find, preferably frozen unless your kingsnake refuses to eat it. As to everyone saying you should let it go, I wouldn't if you have room to keep it. Very few snakes live to maturity in the wild, and plenty of people who like snakes get most of their pets from the wild. They turn into great pets with some regular short handling periods.

Last edited: May 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by